If you have been searching for the secondary school that makes leaders in Nigeria, search no further, the school you are looking for is called Barewa College in Zaria Kaduna state. It has a history of producing leaders and has broken record for training most of Nigeria’s top government officials and past presidents.
Established in 1921 by British governor-general Hugh Clifford, the school was formerly called Katsina College but it was renamed to Kaduna College in 1938 and then Government College Zaria in 1949 before its present name Barewa College.
The school has trained about 5 presidents of Nigeria including some military and democratic presidents, 20 governors, ministers and other top politicians. In case you’re wondering how this happenstance came about, there’s not a known one-size-fits-all explanation for this rare coincidence. But clearly, the figure undeniably makes some significance especially since the school is most recently being acknowledged for catering to roughly all the great leaders of the past and present.
Take a look at the list of former Nigerian presidents, Ministers and Governors who were trained by this reputable college and the number of years they spent there:
– Alh. Ahmadu Bello – Premier of Northern Nigeria from 1954 to 1966
– Alh. Abubakar Tafawa-Balewa – Prime Minister of Nigeria from 1960 to 1961
– Gen. Murtala Mohammed – Military President from 1975 to 1976
– Gen. Yakubu Gowon(retd.) – Military President from 1966 to 1975
– Alh. Shehu Shagari – President of Nigeria from 1979 to 1983
– Alh. Umaru Musa Yar’Adua – President of Nigeria from 2007 to 2010
– Mallam Adamu Ciroma – 3-time Minister (Industries; Agriculture; and Finance)
– Prof. Jubril Aminu – 2-time Minister (Education; Petroleum and Mineral Resources)
– Alh. Umaru Dikko – Minister of Transportation
– Alh. Ibrahim Mahmud Alfa, Ex-Governor of Kaduna State
– Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State
– Dr. Orji Uzor-Kalu, Ex-Governor of Abia State
– Alhaji Mohammed Bello – (current) Minister of FCT
– Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazzau(retd.) – (current) Minister of Interior
– Air Commodore Ibrahim Alkali(retd.) – Ex-Military Governor of Kwara State
– Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi – Ex-Minister of Education
– Hon. Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi – Former Chief Justice of Nigeria(CJN)
– Hon. Justice Uwais – Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
– Hon. Justice Mohammed Bello, Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
Names of the school’s dormitories that are worthy of remembering include: Luggard House, Dan Hausa House, Mallam Smith House, Clifford House, Nagwamatse House, Bienemann House, Mort House, Bello Kagara House and later Jafaru House and Suleiman Barau House, which were formerly known as New House A and New House B when they were built. These dormitories catered to as many as a thousand pupils at any one time, within the vast landscape east of Tudun Wadda.