Stella Dimoko Korkus is arguably one of the most popular Nigerian bloggers with her Stella Dimokokorkus blog notably acknowledged for its unique blogging style and features.
Over the years, Stella has grown to become fearless and one of the most dreaded gossip journalists in Nigeria. The SDK blog which features celebrity gists, entertainment, news, life and a host of other interesting topics has become a household name in Nigeria with her blog visitors/community popularly referred to as SDKers.
The SDK blog which can be described as the Jack of all trade on the internet features creative and unique columns such as; ‘The in-house news (IHN)’, ‘Chronicles of a blog visitor’, ‘educative, entertaining and inspirational’, ‘wordless post’, ‘spontaneous post’, ‘Saturday laughs’ among others.
Interestingly, Stella Dimoko Korkus and popular blogger Linda Ikeji, (the brain behind the Linda Ikeji blog) have over the years been perceived as having an unhealthy rivalry and silent feud.
But Stella who is a journalist by training had once dismissed the notion, stating that there is no threat whatsoever but a healthy competition between them.
SDK insists there will always be a difference between both blogs because she is a journalist who blogs while Linda is a blogger…”I blog with my wealth of experience from Journalism which is different from what she does,” SDK said.
Although many don’t know the personality behind the popular blog, BuzzNigeria now brings you 14 major facts about the fearless journalist who says she does not pretend and is not threatened by anything.
- Stella Dimoko Korkus was born in Lagos and attended all schools in Lagos but graduated from the University of Benin with a 3rd class degree in Linguistics with English as a reference.
- She runs her popular blog from Germany which she does not find easy but she loves what she does.
- She relocated to Germany in 2004 after getting married to her husband, Stephan, in 2003.
- Her husband is cool with her work, helps her out when he is free from his busy job and also helps her source for interesting stories online.
- Her controversial name stems from the fact that she is a confrontational person and never lets a bait walk on by. She likes challenges and always picks them up.
- She started as a print journalist before opening her first blog years back but didn’t go far because she lost it before starting the one she currently has now.
- She experienced something dramatic that helped her make up my mind to leave her day job as a print journalist to focus fully on her blog.
- The battles she had with challenges as a print journalist helped prepare her for her online blogging which she finds even tougher.
- Her typical day starts at 5 am, a routine she has had since she had her first son who was a crying baby. That pattern helped her to learn how to stay awake with him which now helps her with her blogging.
- Coping with reactions and backlash was not so easy for her to handle in the beginning and because of her fight back personality, she got it all controversially messed up but that has been sorted out now.
- Her passion for writing started when she was growing up as she had a knack for writing stinkers to her friends every time they quarreled.
- Journalism started for her after being frustrated from not getting a bank job. She saw a copy of hints magazine where she ran into a page advertising for writers, her friend dialed and she got an appointment for an interview. That was the beginning of her writing journey.
- She started writing make believe for Hints magazine before joining Encomium and writing the real stories.
- She was a victim of sexual victimisations while in the University which she couldn’t do anything about and is happy she was not given a Pass.