Boko Haram: Army Arrests Borno Politicians Over Alleged Links To The Terrorists

Advertisement

Two prominent politicians in Borno state and a traditional ruler have been arrested by the army over suspected links to Boko Haram insurgents.

Although, the names of the politicians were not revealed but according to TheCable, the politicians are close associates of an APC governor while the traditional ruler is the first son of another prominent ruler in the state.

Also See: Army General, Others, Fighting BHaram Die In Helicopter Crash (Photos)

The latest arrests were confirmed by Lucky Irabor, a major general and theatre commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, the counterinsurgency team of the army.

He said:

“It is true we have arrested some people. They may be known faces. We started picking them one by one. We’re taking them now and we are still investigating them so I can’t give you any detail.” 

The politicians were arrested early this week by detectives and troops from Operation Lafiya Dole. One of them, who is also an Islamic spiritualist, was said to have fled the state but was arrested along Maiduguri-Jos road.

The second politician was said to be a thug (called ECOMOG) and an aide to some politicians in the state.

boko haram

A military source said more arrests will be made in the “coming days” and the information will be officially made public.

BuzzNigeria recalls that the army had previously arrested a council chairman over suspected links to the militants.

Meanwhile, a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer Borno state command says a policeman has died with another one injured by bandits while on patrol around Kubuwa village in Damboa local government of Borno state.

According to the statement, the men were ambushed in a police patrol vehicle from the Biu Area Command on investigation duty to Maiduguri, at about 10:30 pm on Tuesday.

The affected policemen have been taken to the Damboa General hospital and the injured policeman is responding to treatment.

Tuesday’s ambush was the second in two days as a military convoy had been attacked on Saturday along the same Damboa road with casualties from both the military and civilian side.

The Federal Government, yesterday said it had recovered some sensitive documents and treasure of the Boko Haram in the Sambisa Forest.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who disclosed this, said the items, including the propaganda strategy of the sect, was discovered from the materials left behind by the terrorists after they were routed from their last stronghold in the forest.

Calling on the media and the public to be vigilant, the Minister said: “the decimated group has shifted its strategy towards dominating the media space, propagating a perverted version of Sharia law and giving the impression that it is still holding territory.”

He also appealed to the public and the media to ensure that they do not “unwittingly provide the terrorists with the oxygen of publicity that they desperately need.

Also See: Nigerian War on Terror: What United States is Offering

“We must all unite against terrorism by denying Boko Haram our platforms to propagate its ideology. Both the media and the citizens have important roles to play in complementing our Armed Forces, which are combining land and air resources to completely clear the vestiges of Boko Haram,” he said.

Topics: