The Presidency has broken silence over the February 6th planned Nationwide protest which is to be led by singer, 2Baba and several Nigerians who have come out to throw their weights behind him.
Femi Adesina, the Senior Special Assistant to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, while speaking in an interview with Lagos Talk 91.3FM, said those who are calling for the protest are people who supported the immediate past government and are still pained that they lost the last election.
He was quoted as saying:
“This is a country of about 180 million people. It is impossible for 180 million people to think the same way. Yoruba has a saying that is you all sleep and put your head in the same direction, then you are all foolish because you would be breathing in one another’s mouth and lungs. Don’t forget the last election and how it went.
“Somebody scored 12.5 million votes, another scored about 15 million votes. There are some people who are still in that election mode. They have not gotten out of it and till today, they are still living and “rheumatisizing” about the past. What they don’t know is that that past is gone and gone forever. Majority of those calling for the protest are still in election mode.
“Majority of them are people that have resolved not to see anything good in this administration simply because the man they wanted lost at the polls.”
Meanwhile, as an increasing number of Nigerians are pledging their support for the upcoming nationwide protest, the governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, on Monday said he will be partaking in the march.
Shortly after 10:00 p.m., Mr. Fayose in a post on his Twitter handle, said the organisers have his full support to launch the protest which they said will be “massive”.
“To organisers of Feb. 5 (now 6th) “Enough is Enough” National Protest, you have my total support and I will be part of the protest,” the governor tweeted.
Mr. Fayose is the latest public figure to queue behind the organisers of the demonstration, which is expected to hold simultaneously in different cities across the country.
Just before the governor endorsed the move, Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe, also announced her support for the mission as she reposted a live video made by the music mogul to show he is not going to retreat from the planned February 6, 2017 nationwide protest.
“#istandwithNigeria #istandwith2baba #OnevoiceNigeria
I stand with you on this on Bro!……..How long do we have to suffer, before we see the CHANGE we were promised?????
I thought the ‘CHANGE’ we were promised was to make our lives better?
To think I actually casted my vote for “CHANGE” 😰
WE DEMAND A BETTER NIGERIA 🇳🇬!”
On the flip side, Blackface has warned Nigerians not to come out for the scheduled Feburary 6th nationwide protest against the Federal Government.
He said this in a Tweet earlier today. He wrote: “Don’t go out to protest against anything people! it is useless and baseless especially in this sensitive period, don’t be used by politicians”
He also shared an Instagram post criticizing 2Baba’s plan to join the February 6th march against Buhari’s government. The note branded 2Face an ‘illiterate’ and then attempted to explain why the protest was not necessary, accused certain politicians, including the former president Goodluck Jonathan of embezzling funds, before asking the legendary singer why he never protested corruption before now.
Mr. Idibia, while announcing the protest last week, said the Buhari administration’s cluelessness has left too many Nigerians languishing in poverty with little to be hopeful for about the future.
At the same time, the police said they have been duly informed about the protest and will provide security for all participants, although the government called for patience and understanding among Nigerians.