Former spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh, says he is prepared to pay back his share of N400million out of the $2.1billion cash meant for arms.
Metuh, who has been on trial in the past few months, said he has had enough of legal travails and has been in talks with the Ministry of Justice, the EFCC and other necessary bodies on how to refund the money and resolve the issue.
The former PDP National Publicity Secretary who made this known on Thursday in a statement through his counsel, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), said he had no knowledge of the source of the money. Adding that since the EFCC presented a document on the source of the money in court, he has made up his mind to willingly refund the N400million.
“Our client had no knowledge of the source, a fact that is now obvious from the evidence of the prosecution and defence witnesses. Our client had every cause to believe that the money was from the ex-President to whom he made presentation, received directives and rendered report and accounts accordingly.
“When the matter first came up and Chief Metuh was invited to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) in December 2015, he requested to know the source of the money and expressed his readiness to make refunds if it was from government coffers, not minding that the money had been expended as directed by the former President. Officials at ONSA never got back to him as they promised, until his arrest by the EFCC in January 2016.
“It was however while in court that a document was brought regarding the source of the money and since then, our Client has made manifest his willingness to refund the money and has indeed approached his family, friends and associates to mobilise funds to refund the entire N400 million to the government regardless of the fact that the money had been expended based on the directives of the former President and that part of the money had been recovered from one of the prosecution witnesses.
The money in question was allegedly diverted to political purposes by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) during the tenure of ex-National Security Adviser (NSA), Dasuki Sambo.