Bomb Scare Stalls Manchester United Vs Bournemouth Game


Manchester United fans have been forced to abandon their final Premier League game of the season against Bournemouth today due to a bomb scare. This happened after a suspicious package was discovered at one end of the stands at Old Trafford.

A security alert was sounded about 20 minutes before the scheduled 1400 GMT kickoff requiring the thousands of fans to exit the stadium.

Manchester police said on their Twitter account that the game “has been abandoned, fans are leaving the ground. Please avoid the area if possible,”.


See Also:  Manchester United To Name South Stand After Sir Bobby Charlton

Manchester United confirmed that a security alert caused the abrupt cancellation of the EPL match against Bournemouth.

In a statement by a Man U spokesman, it was revealed that the game was cancelled “due to the discovery of a suspect package in the North-West Quadrant of the ground, the match with Bournemouth been abandoned today on police advice,”.

This is the second time in less than a week that Manchester United have been involved in a security threat. Their previous game at West Ham United on Monday was delayed after their team bus was attacked by fans.

Bomb Scare Causes Panic

A “suspect package” had been discovered by a fan, in one of the toilets in the Stretford End stand. Half of the stands at Old Trafford were tactically evacuated.


Announcements were made via the Public address system, instructing supporters in the South and East Stands — including visiting Bournemouth fans — to remain in their seats until the game was called off.


In order to avoid congestion outside the ground, United security officials held up announcing the decision to fans remaining in the two other stands for another 10 minutes. Before the stadium was completely evacuated at about 3.15pm GMT.

See Also:  


A police spokesperson confirmed that a mobile phone with wires was found in the Stadium and has been detonated by bomb-disposal specialists.

Both clubs have confirmed on Twitter that the game has been called off. The match has been rescheduled to Tuesday May 17th 2016 at 8pm GMT.