Boko Haram: Intercepted Suicide Bomber Says She Was Paid N200 To Detonate Explosive


An 18-year-old suicide bomber, Amina, who was intercepted by Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) personnel yesterday in Maiduguri, said Boko Haram gave her N200 for the mission.

Speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Maiduguri, Amina said she was abducted two years ago by the terror group’s members in Madagali, Adamawa and taken to Sambisa Forest.

Also See: Army Arrests Borno Politicians Over Alleged Links To The Terrorists

She said that her father, mother and younger brother, Umar, were all killed when they tried to escape from the enclave where they were held hostage.

“We came from Gobarawa along Damboa, Madagali and Algarno axis, a community where we were held hostage and married off by the sect members.

“They gave us N200 each to buy food for ourselves. It took us three days to come to Maiduguri on a motorcycle. We were directed by the sect members to detonate our explosives where there is any form of gathering.

“They said if we press the button, the bomb would explode and we will automatically go to Heaven. I was scared, so, I told them that I could not detonate any explosive. So, they said if Zainab detonated her own, it would serve the purpose.

“On our way to Maiduguri, we encountered the military and they were shooting. I was very scared and the people that brought us ran away. I am from Imam Shekau’s faction of Boko Haram even though I have never seen Shekau but I hear about him in Gobarawa.”

Amina also said she is married to a Boko Haram commander known as “Amir”.

Suicide Bombers Shot

Yesterday, security operatives arrested Amina and killed her partner Zainab, in a foiled attempt to attack the Molai area of  Maiduguri, Borno State. The security operatives said they had sighted the suicide bombers behind the NNPC Mega filling station in the area while attempting to infiltrate Maiduguri town.

Confirming the incident to newsmen, the commandant of the NSCDC, Ibrahim Abdullahi, said the incident occurred at about 6.45 a.m.

“Our personnel at the NNPC station intercepted two female suicide bombers who were targeting motorists on the long queue at the NNPC mega petrol station at about 6.45 a.m.

“One of the bombers got scared and threw away her bomb and was instantly arrested, while the other one ran after people with her explosive.

“The suspect was arrested and handed over the suspect to the Garrison Commander, 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Maiduguri, for proper investigation.”

The Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maiduguri, Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, also confirmed that the suspect was in custody of the Army and that she would undergo investigation.

“We are going to profile her as she would give us the lead to get to other insurgents.”

Also See: Over 10,000 IDPs Seek Permanent Settlement In Yobe State

Just a week ago, a suicide bomber detonated an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) at the Dalori quarters’ mosque in Maiduguri, in the early hours of Tuesday, during the morning prayers, killing a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force and a male suicide bomber.