A Boko Haram suicide bomber blew himself up close to a mosque in Cameroon near the Nigerian border, leaving 11 persons dead.
A Cameroonian provincial governor who confirmed this on Thursday, warned civilians not to breach special security measures aimed at preventing such attacks.
The attack, which took place late on Wednesday, occurred after the breaking of the fast during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
A local oficer who also confirmed the attack said after the prayer, the faithful had gathered under a tent in Djakana, when a suicide bomber exploded, killing 11 people and left about four others injured.
It was gathered that the Boko Haram Suicide bomber was a young boy and that most of the victims were members of a local group tasked with fighting Boko Haram militants.
Meanwhile, the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), reportedly arrested 24 Boko Haram members along the Cameroon border on Wednesday. According to the task force spokesman, Muhammed Dole, arms and ammunitions were also recovered from the fleeing sect members.
Dole said they were escaping the joint military onslaught against Boko Haram in Sambisa forest. Boko Haram’s seven-year insurgency has left at least 20,000 people dead in Nigeria and border areas of neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, and made more than 2.6 million homeless.
About 2,000 Chadian soldiers are set to launch a counter-offensive against the group in the region, as part of a fightback by the four countries targeted by the group.
The group pledged its allegiance to Islamic State last year, although the practical extent of its links with the Syria- and Iraq-based group is not known.