In furtherance of their warning to the Federal Government to immediately look into their demand and attend to them, the Niger Delta Justice Defence Group (NDJDG), has unleashed an attack on oil piplelines in Bera, Gokana local government area of Rivers State. The attack took place during the wee hours of Thursday, August 4.
Report of the recent strike was made known by the group in a statement made available to Naij.com and it reads:
“We are responsible for the vandalization of oil pipelines in Bera, Gokana local government area of Rivers state last night, by 1.30am.
“Previously we blew up pipelines in Gio-Tai L.G.A and B-Dere in Gokana L.G.A and issued warning to oil companies to vacate our region and suspend all oil explorations in the region until our demands are met.
“Till now, the FG is still playing politics with the Ogoni cleanup while the people continue to suffer every day from environmental degradation. We will continue our actions until the welfare and plight of our people are given utmost attention by the Muhamadu Buhari led FG.
“This time around we shall spread our tentacles and expand the scope of our operation to Onne Wharf in Rivers state and other parts of the country.”
The NDJDG had earlier made a demand to Buhari’s government insisting that:
1. All refineries and petrochemical companies must shut down their activities and leave the region immediately until the Federal Government is ready to turn around the fortunes of our people.
2. The UNEP report implementation on Ogoniland must commence immediately.
3. No attempt must be made to resume oil exploration in Ogoniland until the UNEP report has been 100% implemented.
4. The Federal government must immortalize Ken Saro Wiwa and other Niger Delta agitators who were gruesomely killed.
5. The Niger Delta region must be allowed to control their resources.