1,307 Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC staff in different cadres across the country, have been promoted.
INEC approved the promotions after a meeting with held at the INEC headquarters, Abuja. All the staff promoted passed their promotion examinations and successfully met the rigorous criteria set by the Commission.
A breakdown of those promoted shows that 14 were officers promoted from Grade Level (GL) 16 to the rank of Grade Level (GL) 17 (substantive Directors) while 1,293 were officers from Grade Levels (GL) 7 to 16.
For the conduct of the Rivers National and State Assembly re-run elections which took place on Saturday, 10th December 2016, the Commission has also set up a high-powered, four-man Committee to investigate the role of INEC staff.
Members of the Committee are; Professor Okechukwu Ibeanu, Chairman; AVM Ahmed T. Mu’azu, (National Commissioner) member; Professor Jacob Jatau, (Resident Electoral Commissioner, FCT), Member; Omoloja Tajudeen, Deputy Director (Discipline).
The Committee is expected to submit its report on Monday, 30th January 2017. Its terms of reference are to;
• Review the preparations and deployment of personnel and material on the eve of the elections;
• Identify the factors leading to the apparent failure of processes in some Local Government Areas (LGAs);
• Determine the involvement and possible culpability of INEC officials in the conduct and outcome of the elections;
• Recommend appropriate sanctions against officials involved in any infractions and commendation for exceptional performance.
• Advise the Commission on any matter considered relevant to the assignment.
The committee is also expected to recommend appropriate sanctions against officials guilty of infractions, commend creditable performance and advise INEC on any matter considered relevant to the assignment.
The Commission decided that appropriate disciplinary action be meted out to staff facing investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), over the conduct of the 2015 General Elections based on the INEC Staff Conditions of Service.