US Agency Withdraws 1 Million Samsung Galaxy Note 7


United States Federal consumer safety regulators on Thursday officially recalled 1 million Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones.

This is coming after dozens of users have reported the device catching fire while charging.

Smartphone maker, Samsung had earlier issued a warning about reported safety issues with the Galaxy Note 7.

Samsung had advised users of the device to avoid charging it and return the phones.

READ ALSO: Galaxy Note 7 Is Out Of Control, Sets Jeep On Fire

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) told customers to “immediately stop using and power down” the device.

Samsung announced on September 2 that it would stop selling Galaxy Note 7s.


According to the CPSC, the Korean company has so far received 92 reports of the batteries overheating in the U.S.

Also received include 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage from fires.

The US federal agency says users of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 can get a free replacement from Samsung.

They can also get the replacement from their wireless carrier or the retail outlet the phone was purchased.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Users To Get Free Replacement

According to a statement released by Samsung on Thursday, the new Note 7 will be in most stores no later than Sept. 21.
They stated that customers can also request a refund or a different device.

Meanwhile, U.S. regulators, the FAA told airline passengers to turn off the phones when flying due to the safety risk.

The CPSC urged Note 7 owners last week to turn off their phones even though a replacement version had yet to be concluded.

READ ALSO:  Samsung Recall All Galaxy Note 7 Smartphones Worldwide

Following Thursday’s formal recall, the FAA revised its warning.

According to the FAA, Note 7 owners must not only turn off the device on airplanes, it said, but also protect the power switch.

This will prevent the phone from being unintentionally activated.

For Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users outside the U.S., Samsung has offered other solutions.

In its home market of South Korea, the company says it will unveil debut a new “battery-problem-free” Note 7 phone on Monday.

Samsung is also reportedly offering a software patch in that country that prevents affected phones from charging above 60%.