Speaking to newsmen at a press briefing on Thursday, January 14, Mazi Okwu Nnabuike, the national secretary of the Ohanaeze Youth Council (OYC), said “the former Governor of Rivers state from the Ikwerre sub Igbo clan won the award after a stiff poll organised by the OYC.”
While disclosing that the award will officially be conferred on Hon Rotimi Amaechi on Saturday, 30th January 2016, at Nike Lake Hotel, Enugu state, he stated that the Deputy Senate President,Senator Ike Ekweremadu emerged as the outstanding Igbo politician of the year.
Winners of other categories according to Mazi Nnabuike include:
– Governor Willy Obiano , the best Igbo Governor of the year
– Senator Hope Uzodimma, the Igbo legislator of the year
– Senator Ike Ekweremadu, the outstanding Igbo politician of the year
– Chief Ifeanyi Ubah, the Igbo entrepreneur of the year,
– Leo Stan Ekeh, the Igbo Scientist of the year
– Prof Ben Nwabueze, the Igbo Elder statesman of the year
– Prof May Nwoye, the Igbo Woman of the year
– Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, the Igbo Minister of the year
– Chief Charles Okereke, the Igbo Journalist of the year
– Chief Innocent Chukwuma , the Igbo investor of the year
– Chief Author Eze, the Igbo philanthropist of the year
– Chief Maduka Onyishi the Igbo Transporter of the year.
Other categories of Awards include:
– the Igbo Sportsperson of the year
– the Igbo Farmer of the year
– the Igbo Academic of the year
– the Igbo footballer of the year, etc.
Explaining why Amaechi won the award, Mazi Okwu Nnabuike said that “his actions before and during the 2015 presidential election has so much helped in deepening Nigeria’s democracy”.
“We recall how he doggedly fought and retained his position as the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, against all odds”.
“Apart from that, as the Director of President Buhari’s campaign team, he gallantly led the fight that led to the change in the country today. These no doubt, put him forward as a true Igbo son from the South-South.
“On the part of Senator Ike Ekweremadu, apart from the effective representation he has given to his constituency and the South-East Zone, he emerged as the Deputy Senate President against all odds”.
On the recognition of Gov Willie Obiano of Anambra state as the best Igbo Governor of the Year in the zone, he explained that even though all the governors, especially the three new ones, had made remarkable impacts, the Anambra Governor had created so many indelible records.
Meanwhile preparations are on top gear for the event.