The Presidency has revealed that some deceitful projects were awarded during the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
The Senior Special Assistant to the president on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in an interview on Express Radio in Kano on Tuesday, noted that some projects, which existed only on paper, were being activated.
Citing the Kano-Katsina dual road project as an example of what he called “deceitful and ghost projects now being given life”.
”Kano-Katsina dual highway was awarded three years ago by the last administration. They didn’t pay a kobo for its start-up. President Buhari just paid money for the first tranche of 75 kilometers and work has begun apace.”
Shehu said Nigeria was taking a giant leap in infrastructure development by speeding up ongoing projects and investing heavily in the construction and repair of highways, railways and power generating plants across the country.
The Buhari administration, he said, chose to fast track projects related to infrastructure to pump money into the economy as a way of pulling it out of recession.
Shehu said N750 billion has been released for capital projects in the last five months and that counterpart funds for the take-off of the USD 11 billion Kano-Lagos rail project had been paid.
“Without infrastructure, the country will not witness growth,” he noted.
Meanwhile, the former president, Goodluck Jonathan was said to have received a most unexpected kind welcome from Sokoto youths on Thursday, November 17, when he traveled to the state to pay a condolence visit to the family of late Ibrahim Dasuki, former Sultan of Sokoto.
Even though the youths were said to have been kept at a distance by security details, Sokoto youths greeted the former president with an unexpected hero’s welcome as they were seen carrying placards chanting songs in honour of the former president and asking him to return as Nigeria’s president.