World football’s governing body, FIFA on Tuesday extended a ban on Chris Giwa and four others who have been involved in a leadership battle for control of the game in Nigeria.
The officials were banned for charges relating to breaches of the NFF Statutes and the FIFA Code of Ethics and have been banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity.
FIFA said its disciplinary committee had “decided to extend the five-year ban from taking part in any kind of football-related activity. The ban now applies worldwide, it said in a statement on its website.
Giwa, the former owner of Giwa FC in the central city of Jos, has insisted since August 2014 that he was elected as the rightful president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
Giwa dragged the federation to court to challenge its legitimacy. The Pinnick-led board, however, appealed the judgment and have won its cases at the Appeal court and Supreme Court, but Giwa led fraction dragged the case further.
This attracted the attention of football’s world governing body who ratified the election of Amaju Pinnick in September 2014 but did not recognize the supposed election of Chris Giwa on August 26, 2014 and threatened sanctions on Nigeria if the ruling was obeyed.
Giwa then withdrew the case. The Nigeria football world was again thrown into chaos last year when a Federal High Court in Jos sacked Pinnick as NFF President and ordered Chris Giwa to resume office as president of the football federation.
In May last year, the NFF banned him and his supporters for impersonation and breaching FIFA rules by taking football matters to a civil court.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) also confirmed the ban.
The others who were banned alongside Chris Giwa are Muazu Suleyman, Yahaya Adama, Sani Fema and Johnson Effiong.