The Election Is Cancelled, Declares Boko Haram


The Islamist sect, Boko Haram has said that the March 28 general elections will not hold, at least, not peacefully.

In a video which was released by the group via their Twitter handle, the group’s leader Abubakar Shekau, who spoke in the Hausa language said: “This election will not be held even if we are dead. Even if we are not alive Allah will never allow you to do it.”  Presumably referring to the polls scheduled for March 28.

He also claimed to have carried out the weekend attack in the northeast Nigerian city of Gombe, which the military says was repelled.

Allah will not leave you to proceed with these elections even after us, because you are saying that authority is from people to people, which means that people should rule each other, but Allah says that the authority is only to him, only his rule is the one which applies on this land,” he said.

“And finally we say that these elections that you are planning to do, will not happen in peace, even if that costs us our lives ,”  he added.

Nigeria Boko Haram 1

The video, which was titled “A message To The Leaders of the “Disbelievers,” Shekau also had a few words for neighbouring countries that have been trying to fight against Boko Haram:

You are claiming that we don’t know how to fight, but we forced your forces to flee from their bases and we freed our imprisoned brothers from the prisons that you oppressed them in, only praise be to Allah.

It should be stated here that there have been waves of attacks in the North East since this threat. Yesterday it was gathered that a  teenage girl blew herself up at a crowded bus station in Potiskum, Yobe State on Tuesday, killing at least 15 people and wounding 53 in the second such attack there this week.

Nigeria’s general election had been scheduled for February 14 but was postponed by six weeks with the security services saying they needed more time to contain the violence in the North east, Boko Haram’s stronghold.