Dokpesi Gets Served With Six Counts Charge Of Money Laundering And Related Crimes


The former chairman of DAAR Communications Plc, owner of AIT and RayPower, Chief Raymond Dokpesi has been served a six-count charge of alleged N2.1billion money laundering and other money-related crimes by the Federal Government.

Daar Holding and Investment Limited was filed as co-defendant in the suit which accuses Dokpesi and his company of violating the Money Laundering Act, the EFCC Act and the Public Procurement Act. Mr. Dokpesi has been taken into the custody of the EFCC on December 1st for his role in the $2 billion arms contract fraud as well the former National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd). ‎Dokpesi and his family are said to have given conflicting information concerning the alleged money.

Read Also: $2bn Arms Deal: Dasuki’s Confession Exposes Ex­Governors, Ministers, PDP Chieftains

He revealed in a statement last week, that the N2.1 billion he collected from the Former NSA was for PDP media campaign during the general election that took place on May 29 and not for the procurement of arms. According to FG, the funds Mr. Dokpesi received and for whatever reason it was collected, represented a breach of the provisions of the Money Laundering Act, the EFCC ACT, and the Public Procurement Act. And as a consequence, he is expected to appear before Justice Gabriel Kolawole‎ of the Federal High Court Abuja on Monday, December 14, 2015.

It can be recollected that Africa Independent Television (AIT), under the ownership of DAAR Communications, was slammed for working with Goodluck Jonathan administration and broadcasting derogatory and downgrading films and ads against the present president of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari who was then, among the candidates in the race for the office. Afterwards, the media platform also made a disparaging film about APC contributor, Bola Tinubu, who later used the Nigerian court to stop the film from being shown.

Read Also: Saraki Denies Involvement In Arms Deal Fraud As Sahara Reporters Maintain He Was Bribed

According to Sharareporters, Mr. Dokpesi pleaded with Justice Gabriel Kolawole to protect him from the EFCC, saying that the group had violated his rights. He said this through an application even before a judge could be assigned to his trial. In his application, dated December 3rd, Mr. Dokpesi stated that he was kept at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja for two days without anyone telling him anything about the charges. However, Femi Falana, a famous human rights and constitutional lawyer in Nigeria, spoke to the media that the constitutional and human rights of Mr. Dokpesi and others have not been violated since they were taken into custody.

Despite Mr Falana’s assertion, Mr. Dokpesi’s counsel, Mike Ozehkome, pleaded that the court grant his client bail under “ordinary circumstances”. He argued that his client lacked a criminal record and, therefore, was not a flight risk.

Read Also: EFCC May Be Sending A Questioning Invite To Jonathan Over Arms Deal Fraud