71 students of Government Girls Secondary School, Kalgo, Kebbi State have reportedly been hospitalized after eating contaminated food bought from vendors selling food on the school premises.
Daily Post reports that the Principal of the school, Hajiya Gwamma Sakaba, confirmed the incident, saying the students were hospitalized as a result of food poisoning caused by the palm oil used to cook the food.
Some of the students were said to have collapsed after complaining of stomach pain just after returning from break. Immediately, the Local Government Sole Administrator, officials of both the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health were alerted to investigate the matter.
Thankfully, no life was lost due to the immediate action taken by government to save the lives of the students. Meanwhile, three of the 71 students are reported to be in more critical conditions than the others.
The government officials visited the school and took samples of the food for testing as well as the blood of the victims.
Have You Seen: Measles, Whooping Cough Outbreak Kills Six In Jigawa
The Sole Administrator of Kalgo Local Government Area, Alhaji Musa Hassan, also confirmed the development saying that the food vendor and the palm oil seller had been arrested by the police.
Alhaji Musa Hassan, narrates that the students were taken to the primary health care and they were given treatment after the incident occurred on Thursday. While some of the students have recovered, the others are still in the hospital.
Hassan explained that the poison came through the palm oil used to cook the food, and not from the Pasta itself.
Deputy Governor, Ismail Yombe, had directed that the students be treated at Sayahya Hospital, Birnin Kebbi.
The case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Birnin-Kebbi, for further investigations.