Skales (Real Name: Raoul John Njeng-Njeng, born 1 April 1991) is a Nigerian rapper, singer, and songwriter from Edo State. He is best known for his songs like “Keresimesi”, “Shake Body”, “Mukulu”, “Komole”, and “My Baby”, among others.
Skales stands out as one musician who has continued to set a standard for what rapping should be. Best described as an embodiment of rap, he is famed for his insightful and thought-provoking lines in the industry. Skales began his musical career as a rapper, but he started combining rap with real music along the line. With hundreds of hit singles and three studio albums, Skales has got to an established position and become famous in the Nigerian music industry.
Profile Summary of Skales
- Full name: Raoul John Njeng-Njeng
- Date of Birth: 1st April 1991
- Age: 32 years old
- Place of Birth: Kaduna, State
- State of origin: Edo State
- Nationality: Nigerian
- Marital Status: Married
- Education: University of Jos, Lead City University Ibadan
- Occupation: Rapper, singer, songwriter
- Years Active: 2000 – present
Edo State Native, Skales Was Singlehandedly Raised By His Mother
At birth, the hip-hop artist was named Raoul John Njeng-Njeng, but he decided to take up Skales as his stage name (an acronym for Seek Knowledge Acquire Large Entrepreneurial Skills). He was born in Kaduna State on 1st April 1991, as the only child of his parents. Skales is of Edo State origin and was single-handedly raised by his mother, who was a teacher.
In 2019, Skales revealed on his Twitter page why he left his father at the age of 6 and moved on with his mother. According to him, his mother was molested and abused by his father, and she never opened up for all that she went through. His father eventually left them and got involved with another woman. Skales mentioned that even though he was five years then, he witnessed everything and had them in his memory. Notwithstanding, the singer said that he has forgiven his father and does not have anything against him, although he still has not met him to date.
He Has Two University Degrees
Skales completed his primary and secondary education in Kaduna. For his first degree, he first studied at the University of Jos, where he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Banking and Finance. He then proceeded to Lead City University, Ibadan, for his second degree. There, he graduated with another degree in Business Administration. While growing up, Skales’ mother had a cassette store, which eventually turned out to be the very first place he developed a strong interest in music.
Skales Made His Debut with Must Shine in 2009
Before his music career got into full swing, he used to work with Jos-born singer-songwriter Jeremiah Gyang and popular hip-hop artist Jesse Jagz in Jos. In a bid to explore the industry and show off his musical talent before a real audience, the rapper joined the Zain Tru Search competition, organized in the North Central part of Nigeria. At the end of the competition, Skales’ talent paid off, earning him the first position in the region. His impressive outing would give birth to his debut single titled: Must Shine, which became the go-to hit in so many radio stations in Abuja, Jos, and Lagos at the time.
Overwhelmed with his newfound fame, the rapper eventually moved from his base to Lagos, where he signed a recording deal with Empire Mates Entertainment in 2009. Skales’ emergence into the spotlight has earned laudable praises from music contemporaries and a slew of collaborations with notable music artists such as Banky W, eLDee, Knighthouse, Wizkid, Ice Prince, Shaydee, Niyola, Patoranking, Sarkodie, Jesse Jagz, Erigga, DJ Xclusive, and Jeremiah Gyang. In 2014, he released Shake Body, which later became the lead single in his debut album Man of the Year.
He Has Released Three Studio Albums So Far
Skales has his own record label called OHK Music. He founded OHK shortly after his recording contract with Empire Mates Entertainment expired in May 2014. In addition to his personal label, he is also signed to Baseline Music. He released his debut album, Man of the Year, under Baseline Entertainment in 2015. The album featuring guest artists like Davido Reekado Banks, Burna Boy, Ice Prince, Olamide, Phyno, etc., comprises 22 singles, including Naughty, Happy, I am a Winner, Turn You on, Swagger Man, and others.
In 2017, he dropped his sophomore album The Never Say Never Guy under his own label OHK Music and Baseline Entertainment. The 19-track album featured famous artists like PJ Morton, Tekno, Rotimi, Burna Boy, Phyno, Wande Coal, Sarkodie, Lil Kesh, and Timaya. It was a commercial success, and some of the songs include Body Language, Thank God, For You, Speak my Mind, Give me Love, etc.
Skales’ third and latest studio album titled My Love was released in 2018. The 17-tack album was produced by Chopstix, Echo, Pimp, T.U.C, Princeton, and Egarboi and featured artists like Tiwa Savage, Cassper Nyovest, Vanessa, Harmonize, and many others. The album was a compilation of what love means to him in diverse ways, and it was dedicated to his mum for the love and many sacrifices she made to see him succeed. Though the rapper boasts of numerous hit songs, he still has many accomplishments ahead of him.
Some of his popular songs include:
- Take Care of Me
- Bo Se Se Mi
- Be Mine
- Shake Body
- Denge Pose
- Always ft Davido
- Your Body Hot ft Attitude
- I Am for Real
- Jogodo ft Oritsefemi
- For You
- Shaku Shaku
- Give me Love ft Tekno
- Fire Waist ft Harmonize
He Has Won a Few Awards
- 2013- Best Upcoming Artiste (Male), Nigerian Teen Choice Awards
- 2015- Best Vocal Performance (Male) for Emergency ft in collaboration with Runtown ft Patoranking
- 2018- Best Collabo of the year by The Headies
Skales Married His Model Fiancée, Hasanity, in May 2021
Singer Skales has officially left the bachelor’s club. In March 2021, he took to his Instagram page to announce his proposal to his model fiancée, Hasanity. He popped the question to her on her birthday, and she said yes. Without further ado, on 1st May 2021, the two held their outstanding traditional wedding at an undisclosed location. The traditional marriage was attended by family members, close friends, and few celebrities, including Tanzanian music star, Harmonize.
Other Facts You Need To Know About Him
- He met Gyang and Jagz while in the university and also won the Zain Tru Search Competition in the North Central region.
- Skales once survived a fatal accident that cost the life of a passenger and left three others injured. The crash happened in December 2011 when their car somersaulted severally along the Lekki-Epe Expressway and fell into a ditch.
- The Kaduna-born star’s 2009 song Heading for a Grammy was born out of his experience. It was actually inspired by American rapper Kanye West’s song Jesus Walks, released in 2004.
- His musical career has taken him to places, some of which he traveled along with top artists like Wizkid. Their last tour together was in London in 2012.
- He has also traveled with Banky W’s record label Empire Mates Entertainment for shows. He was part of the label’s US Tour, which started from July 4, 2012, to September 2, 2012, in Houston, New York City, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington DC, Toronto, Vancouver, Dallas, and Calgary.
- Skales was among the slew of notable performers who featured at the 2013 edition of Felabration.
- His musical idol is Kanye West.