Leadership is one of those things that defines any great nation and Nigeria is one of those nations, which has always been infamous for their culture and few of the greatest leaders in the world. Goodluck Jonathan is one of those great born leaders produced by Nigeria in recent times, who has managed to captivate people in many different ways. With some of the best and worst decisions taken during his tenure as the president of Nigeria, it is very necessary to identify the most important facts about him, to get a closer look upon his leadership and him as a person.
1. Prior to his tenure as the President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan served as the 6th governor of Bayelsa State, Nigeria in the year 2005.
2. Goodluck Jonathan was born to a family of canoe makers in the land which is today known as the Bayelsa State of Nigeria.
3. Goodluck Jonathan holds a second class honors degree in Zoology, An MSc degree in Hydrobiology and a PhD degree in Zoology.
4. He entered politics in the year 1998, prior to which he worked as an Education officer, Lecturer and Environmental Protection Officer.
5. He was sworn in as the Vice President of Nigeria in the year 2010, upon the death of Umaru Yar’Adua’s, which made him the fourteenth head of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
6. In the year 2010, he was the first Nigerian head to open his own Facebook page in an attempt to fulfill his promise to have a regular interaction with the common public, so that he is able to attend to their regular needs and disputes.
7. It was in the year 2010 that he formally announced his entry into politics, with his announcement of the presidential election through his Facebook page.
8. He is one of the first Presidents of Republic Nigeria who has always been open to the public, by granting them one of the easiest access through Facebook and office. This ease of access to a President of a nation was previously unheard of in the world of politics.
9. He was the first President who was publicly warned not to contest in the Presidential elections, but he still went forward as he wanted to upgrade and unify Nigeria.
10. Goodluck Jonathan was one of the first Presidents of Nigeria who did not have the background of politics or Military. He was also the first president who was elected from Southern Nigeria.
See Also: 10 Curious Facts About Nigeria Flag
11. He was one of the first Presidents to have experienced the maximum number of bombings and riots by his rivals who did not accept a Southern Nigerian as the Head of a country.
12. Not a lot of people know this, but he is the first President of Nigeria to have initiated Air Rescue mission for stranded citizens. This is one decision which was both criticized by his rivals as a waste of government resources and appreciated by the citizens of Nigeria.
13. He was the first President of Nigeria who had approved of the Freedom of Information Act, which allowed the citizens of Nigeria to have full information on the government’s workings and orders.
14. He concentrated his efforts to upgrade the local travelling facilities, one of his main accomplishments was to upgrade the local airports after 57 years.
15. He focused his attempts on the electrical departments so that he could give his citizens uninterrupted power supply, which was until now being sold to the neighbouring countries.
16. He successfully revived the comatose railways after twenty years. The revival of the railways with the help of private investors and state investors helped to re-establish an important part of Nigeria.
17. In his Presidential tenure, he passed a bill which would ensure the entry of imported goods within 48 hours.
18. He appointed the first female Chief Justice of Nigeria, which was previously unthinkable in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
19. He was the first President to review the salary structure of Government Employees and re-arrange their salary on the basis of their performance during their tenure.
20. He is one of the most successful Presidents of Nigeria who has acted in the interest of his country and he is the first President of Nigeria who has been able to live up to most of his promises, which he made during his election campaign.
Even though many have criticized many of his decisions as The President of Nigeria, GoodLuck Jonathan has become one of those great leaders of Nigeria who is only concerned about the development of Nigeria, which is why we created this list of 20 Things To Note About President Goodluck Jonathan and his accomplishments.