President Muhammadu Buhari forwarded the name of Mrs Aishah Ahmad to the Nigerian Senate for approval and following the latter’s quick approval, the influential analyst took up the tough job of helping CBN Boss Godwin Emefiele proffer the right monetary policies for an ailing economy.
For those who know nothing about the new appointee, here are facts you need to know about Aishah Ahmad.
Biography of Aishah Ahmad
Gorgeous Aisha is proudly a Nigerian who was born in Northern Nigeria, particularly in Niger State, on October 26, 1976. Known as Aisha Ahmad Nee Ndanusa by her family members, Aisha is born to the family of Alhaji Umaru Ndanusa, the former Chairman of Peugeot Nigeria Limited. She had her secondary education at Federal Government Girls College, Bida, Niger State where she finished in the class of 1992 set and graduated from the University of Abuja and holds a Master of Business Administration, MBA in finance from the University of Lagos. She also holds a Master of Science, MSc in Finance & Management from the Cranfield School of Management in the United Kingdom.
Looking back to her background, there’s no doubt that the vibrant woman comes from a long line of very accomplished women within her family who have distinguished themselves.
Her rise to fame was majorly inspired by the number of successful women in her family who were able to break grounds in their various careers despite their religion and cultural upbringing.
One of her grandmothers has reportedly distinguished herself in her nursing career being one of the early recipients of an international education. She also has many aunties who are doing great things in their various businesses and careers.
Other Facts About The New Central Bank Deputy-Governor
- Aishah Ahmad is the chairperson of the executive council of Women in Management, Business and Public Service, WIMBIZ, a Nigerian non-profit organisation, established in 2001, focused on addressing issues affecting the interest of women professionals in business, with particular attention on promoting leadership development and building capacities to engender growth.
Her soon-to-be last job before taking up the CBN post was Head, Consumer Banking Division at Diamond Bank. She was responsible for strategic retail products and customer segments including consumer banking, private wealth management, direct sales agent network with a customer base of over 5 million.
- Ahmad’s appointment is to fill the void created by the exit of the former deputy governor in charge of Economic Policy, Sarah Alade, who retired from the Central Bank in March 2017 as the only woman in the top hierarchy of the apex bank.
- Aisha has a professional banking experience which traverses the NAL Bank Plc, Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc and Zenith Bank Plc.
- She started out in the private sector as a Group Accountant at “Manstructs Group Nigeria Limited” before moving to work at Z.O. Ososanya & Company.
- Aisha also worked at First Interstate Bank (Nigeria) Plc., as Executive Assistant, Treasury Group
- She is a member of the Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA and Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst, CAIA Associations.
- She is from a Muslim family and married to Abdullahi Ahmed a retired general of the Nigerian Army from Bida, Niger State. They have two sons.
- Aishah as a fierce feminist has taken up the crusade to ensure fair and equal treatment of women in the workplace.
- She has canvassed for an institutionalization of the paternity leave for men in a bid to ensure both men & women are given the opportunity to make these sacrifices for their careers to even out on the playing field.
- She lists former United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as her role model. According to her, Clinton who shares the same birth date with her has been a strong influence on her, especially in the area of being focused on making an impact on her generation
- Aishah Ahmad underwent a proper screening by the Senate before she was finally confirmed. She was among the five people Buhari sent to the Senate for verification and possible appointment to serve as members of Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Apex bank.
- The nominee is expected to assume duty as CBN Deputy Governor immediately after her screening and confirmation by the Senate.