Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, also known as ABUAD, is a Federal Government-licensed, non-profit private university, founded in 2009 by a prominent Nigerian lawyer and philanthropist, Afe Babalola.
The university which is a model unique in many ways is located on 130 hectares of land at an altitude of over 1500 feet above sea level.
It is the only university in Nigeria, which prior to the issuance of a provisional license by the Federal Government of Nigeria, moved to its permanent site and constructed magnificent College buildings equipped with modern teaching facilities including e-learning platform, College Hostels, Staff Quarters within eight months.
Impressed, the National Universities Commission (NUC), described the university as a “miracle, model reference point, and benchmark” for other universities.
Afe Babalola University has one main campus which is located in Ado-Ekiti, situated in the hilly part of the town directly opposite the Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti. The campuses house 5 undergraduate colleges, a post-graduate school, conference halls, a teaching hospital for medical students which is currently under construction.
However, due to the requirement by the National University Commission (NUC) that the school must possess a functioning teaching hospital, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed with the Nigerian Federal Government to allow its students make use of the Federal Medical Center (FMC).
Afe Babalola University offers academic programmes in six colleges: Sciences, Law, Engineering, Social and Management Sciences, Medicine and Health Sciences, and Postgraduate Studies.
It also runs pre-degree and degree foundation programmes in all the above-listed colleges.
List of Undergraduate Courses Offered at Afe Babalola University
Tourism And Event Management
Arts And Humanities
History And International Studies
Philosophy And Religious Studies
Electrical /Electronics Engineering
Human Nutrition And Dietetics
Medical Laboratory Science
Medicine And Surgery
Information And Communication Technology
Microbiology And Biotechnology
Banking And Finance
Intelligence And Security Studies
International Relations And Diplomacy
Media And Communication Studies
Peace And Conflict Studies
Just like every other Nigerian university, for candidates to be admitted to an undergraduate programme in the institution, they require at least 5 credits in subjects in Mathematics, English language and other 3 subjects that are relevant to their course of study.
Prospective students are also required to have passed the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) examination. After that, candidates are also required to take an oral interview with an academic staff of the prospective college before admission can be given.
The university also offers direct entry admission to students who wish to transfer from another university or have undergone either an Advanced Level program or a degree foundation program. The level at which they are admitted into is decided by the college and varies among them.
For more information, click here
Post-Graduate Programmes Offered At Afe Babalola University
COLLEGE OF LAW
- Master of Law
COLLEGE OF SOCIAL AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Economics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting
- Postgraduate Diploma in Banking & Finance
- Postgraduate Diploma in Conflict, Peace and Strategic Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma in Media and Communication Studies
- Master of Science in Economics
- Master of Science in Management
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Master of Science in Banking & Finance
- Master of Science in Finance
- Master of Science in Conflict, Peace and Strategic Studies
- Master of Science in Political Science
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management
- Master of Industrial and Labour Relations (MILR)
- Master of Science in Media and Communication Studies
COLLEGE OF SCIENCES
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biochemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology
- Master of Science in Microbiology
- Master of Science in Biology
- Master of Science in Biochemistry
- Master of Science in Computer Science
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES
- Master of Science in Anatomy
- Master of Science in Physiology
- Master of Science in Human Nutrition
Admission requirement for a postgraduate programme in Afe Babalola University varies between the different colleges. The Postgraduate College establishes the minimum admission requirements common to all applicants.
All candidates must have five credit passes including English, Mathematics and two other relevant science subjects which must include Physics, Chemistry, and Biology at ‘O’ Level.
However, the postgraduate program that you are applying to may have additional requirements. Please refer to specific programme for more information (check here)