Nassarawa State University, Keffi (NSUK), is a tertiary institution which was created to encourage the advancement of learning in the state and its neighbouring environment.
NSUK was established under the Nasarawa State Law No. 2 of 2001 as passed by the State House of Assembly under the first democratically elected Governor of Nasarawa State, Governor (Dr.) Abdullahi Adamu but was born and sited in February 2002, at the defunct College of Arts, Science and Technology (CAST), Keffi.
It was established with the fundamental aim of providing an avenue for Nassarawa State indigenes to pursue and acquire tertiary education. Located in Keffi town, Nassarawa State University caters for both full time and part-time students.
The University which is run under three campuses in Keffi, Pyanku, and Shabu-Lafia campuses has 7 faculties, 54 academic programmes, a Postgraduate School, Institutes and Centres.
Nasarawa State University, Keffi has three (3) major campuses namely;
This is the main campus and the University’s seat of administration. Situated along Akwanga-Keffi Road, Keffi, Nasarawa State, the Keffi campus has the following faculties:
- Faculty of Administration
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Natural and Applied Sciences
The Lafia Campus is NSUK’s Faculty of Agriculture which comprises of five (5) departments namely:
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Home Economics and Management
- Animal Science
- Forestry, Wildlife, and Fisheries
This is the institution’s school of remedial studies with about four (4) major course combinations.
Accredited Courses in Nassarawa State University
» Agricultural Economics and Extension
» Agricultural Economics and Farm Management
» Animal Science
» Arabic Studies
» Banking and Finance (Mgt)
» Business Administration
» Business Management
» Christian Religious Knowledge/Studies
» Computer Science
» Education and Biology
» Education and Chemistry
» Education and Christian Religious Studies
» Education and Economics
» Education and English Language
» Education and French
» Education and Geography/Physics
» Education and Integrated Science
» Education and Islamic Studies
» Education and Mathematics
» Education and Physics
» Education and Social Studies
» Educational Management
» English Language
» Estate Management
» Forestry And WildLife
» Geology and Mining
» Guidance and Counseling
» Home Science and Management
» Information Resource Management
» Islamic Studies
» Languages and Linguistics
» Mass Communication
» Nutrition and Dietetics
» Plant Science and Biotechnology
» Political Science
» Theatre Arts
NSUK Admission Requirements
First Degree Minimum Entry Requirement
Candidates offered admission into Nassarawa State University are expected to fulfill the minimum entry requirements stated against the facilities into which they are admitted.
General Entry Requirement
- Five relevant credits in SSCE, SC, GCE O/L or TC II Merits or equivalent obtained at not more than two sittings (TC Merits is equivelent to O/L Credit).
- Two A/L passes plus three O/L credits in other subjects, at not more than two sittings or three A/L passes plus two O/L credits in two other subjects at not sittings; two merits, two passes at TC II plus two NCE Merits passes, including a major subject and Education.
- National or NSUK Diploma with Merit or Lower Credit grade, including at least four O/L credits in SSCE/GCE or relevant.
- Transfer candidates into classified degree programmes should have minimum CGPA of 1.50 and 2.40 for non-classified programmes.
English Language Requirement
- A credit in English Language at SSCE, GCE O/L or equivalent
- Merit in English Language in TC II examination.
- A Pass in the HSC, A/L General Paper, English Literature, or NCE General English.
- Credit in IJMB English Language.
- A student who is admitted to a programme of studies for a first degree without initially fulfilling the University’s general requirement in English language should fulfill it before graduation.
- A credit in mathematics is required for all science, Social/Management Science-based courses, except where it is stated otherwise.
- Credit grade in IJMB Basic Mathematics.
Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) Requirement
- Applicants must write the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and attain an acceptable standard in the Use of English (compulsory) and three other subjects relevant to the proposed course of study as set out in the JAMB brochure.
- Prior to sittings for the UTME, applicants should have attained the age of sixteen (16) years or will have done so no the first day of October of the year of entry into the University.
- For a candidate, who has attained the acceptable standard in the UTME to be registered for a course in the University, he/she must, in addition, obtain one of the following qualifications:
- For admission into Arts, Business Administration, Education (Arts), Law and Social Science courses, the five subjects must include English Language.
- Candidates applying for Agriculture, Management Science and other science-based courses must have credit in Mathematics.
Note: A matriculated students of any University is not eligible to sit for the UTME. Those who, for economic reasons, are transferring from foreign universities could however, write the examination.
- SSCE/GCE/O/L or equivalent with credits in five subjects relevant to the proposed course of study, and obtained at not more than two sittings.
- TC II merit passes in at least five subjects (subject to University requirement). Note that TC II is not accepted in some courses
Applicants with one of the following qualifications may be considered for direct entry admission into Nassarawa State University, Keffi.
- A minimum of five subjects passed at not more than two sittings with atleast two at the Principal or Advanced Level of the GCE or IJMB and others at credit level of the SSCE/GCE/O/L.
- Merit passes in two relevant major subjects (mainly for Education courses). Education may be accepted as a third A/L equivalent for those taking courses in Education.
- Two passes at the IJMB examination, or Cambridge moderated schools or Basic studies terminal examination, or international Bacalaureate from recognized institutions with Senior School Certificate Credits or equivalent in three other subjects (subject to University requirements).