You can check NIN number on MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9Mobile and other networks by using the USSD code *346# provided by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). You can also the NIMC App downloaded from your app store to check your NIN number.
The National Identification Number (NIN) is an essential identification system issued to every citizen and resident in Nigeria. Contained in the National ID card, NIN has been in existence in Nigeria for several years but the surge for it was until the government made it compulsory that everyone must link their NIN to their line.
You may have need of your NIN and you’re looking for a way to retrieve it immediately. Perhaps, your National ID Card or slip is not with you at that moment and you need to make use of the number, the steps below provide you with detailed steps on how to check NIN through various platforms.
What Is NIN Number, and Why Is It Important?
A National Identical Number NIN is an 11-digit non-intelligible number picked randomly and assigned to Nigerian citizens and legal residents at the completion of enrollment into the National Identity database. This number is issued by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to every Nigerian citizen and legal resident.
Your NIN is important because it is used to link all records about an individual in the database, including your bank account and mobile phone. It is also used to establish or verify a citizen or legal resident’s identity. The NIN also simplifies the process of accessing government services and helps to reduce fraud. You cannot obtain a National e-ID card, driver’s license, voter’s card, or any other government social benefit without your NIN in Nigeria.
How To Check NIN Number
National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has provided various viable means by which every Nigerian citizen and legal resident can check their NIN number. The most common method to check your NIN is by using the NIMC app or by using the USSD code provided by the commission. Find below the various ways you can check your NiN number:
- NIMC Enrollment Slip: If you have lost your NIN number or are unable to access it through any of the methods above, you can retrieve it from your NIMC enrollment slip. This slip contains your NIN number and other important information about your identity. If you do not have your enrollment slip, you can visit any NIMC enrollment centre to obtain a ne
- USSD Code: You can check your NIN number by dialling *346# on your mobile phone. This service is available on all networks in Nigeria and is free of charge.
- NIMC mobile app: The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has a mobile app that you can download and use to check your NIN number. This app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store using a smartphone.
- Bank verification: If you have linked your NIN number to your bank account, you can check your NIN number by logging into your bank’s Internet banking platform or mobile app. Your NIN number should be displayed on your account details page.
Code to Check NIN on MTN, Glo, or Airtel and Other Networks
The code to check NIN is *346#. It is a unified USSD code released by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) for all network providers in Nigeria. This simply means that NIMC’s *346# can be used to check your NIN on MTN, Airtel, Glo and 9mobilett networks.
To check your NIN on any of the major networks in the country, simply follow the steps below.
- Dial the USSD code *346# on your mobile phone
- Select option 1 if you are using the same phone number you enrolled for your NIN
- Follow the prompts displayed on your screen and provide the required inputs to retrieve the number
Note: – The NIN validation code above only works for SIM cards that have already been registered and previously linked with a NIN.
– Using this service attracts
N20 (twenty naira) fee only (deducted from your phone credit balance).
To Check Numbers Linked to My NIN Using USSD Code
If you don’t have a smartphone or data to check the numbers inked to your NIN using the app, you can simply do so by dialling the *996# This is effective for all the major network providers in Nigeria – MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9Mobile
To Check Linked NIN Numbers on MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9Mobile
- Dial *996# on your phone.
- Select option 1 to check if your NIN has been linked to your line.
- Select option 2 to check all the numbers linked to your NIN.
How to Check NIN Using NIMC APP
Before you check your NIN on the NIMC app you must have downloaded it from the app store available on your Android phone. Follow the steps below to check your NIN on the NIMC app
- Open the NIMC app already downloaded on your phone and type in your unique 11-digit NIN and the mobile number you used in registering your NIN, it must be that exact number, if you don’t have the number then you must link your NIN to the number you have.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered phone number linked to the NIN. This is for verification purposes and once this is completed you can now go to the next step.
- Once the verification is completed, you will be directed to the app’s home screen where you will see three horizontal lines at the top right corner of your app. Click on it to view various options of which view NIN is included.
- Click on the View NIN option and your NIN will be displayed on your home screen
Note: You can also print out your NIN slip, you can do this if you have any need for it.
How To Check Numbers Linked to My NIN
Checking to know if your number has been successfully linked to your NIN is quite necessary. You can also check to know how many phone lines are linked to your NIN for security reasons. You can do this using the NIMC App installed on your phone or USSD codes provided by your network provider.
To Check Numbers Linked to my NIN Using NIMC App
- Click to open the NIMC mobile app already downloaded on your phone
- Type in your NIN and phone number.
- You will receive an OTP sent to your phone number for verification. Please keep in mind that this OTP is only valid for 1 minute and once the verification is complete you can now go to the next step.
- Create a 6-digit password/PIN that will enable you to login into your NIMC mobile app dashboard, you’ll always require that 6-digit PIN.
- Once you’ve reached the dashboard, locate and click the “link my numbers” tab (for Android users) or “my devices“ (for Apple users) and you will be directed to the page where all numbers linked to your NIN are displayed.
Note: The updated version of updated version of the NIMC app does not permit you to delete phone numbers linked to your NIN. If you notice a strange phone number linked to the NIN that is not yours, simply visit the nearest NIMC centre and lodge a complaint.