Multiple Awards winner, singer, and songwriter, Adele is currently the most celebrated world musician, thanks to her big win at the 59th Grammy Awards.
On Sunday 12th February 2017, Adele wowed herself, her fans and the world by going home with five outstanding awards at the just concluded Grammy Awards, which held at the Staples Centre, Los Angeles.
She is one of the few American artistes who has proven that a female singer can still be sexy, acceptable and popular without showing off her skin.
With over 51 million followers on Instagram and Twitter put together, you will agree that Adele is a music force to identify with.
Here are some amazing facts about the 28-year-old diva.
1. Adele was born as Adele Laurie Blue Adkins to Penny Adkins and Marks Evans, however, she was raised solely by her mother.
2. Growing up, she listened to Spice Girls a lot and also got inspiration from the works of Etta James and Dusty Springfield.
3. Adele stopped reading books at the age of six and concentrated on singing. ‘Matilda’ by Roald Dahl was the last book she remembers reading.
4. Adele was a chronic smoker until 2015 when she quit. She had gone through a throat surgery four years earlier which helped in her decision to quit the habit.
5. American celebrities, Jessie J and Leona Lewis were Adele’s classmates in her college.
6. Adele first gained recognition in MySpace, after her friend posted her school project, which attracted lots of views.
7. Adele and her partner Simon Konecki have been dating since October 2012, and have a son, Angelo. Rumours suggest they already tied the knots in a secret wedding as they were both spotted wearing wedding bands.
The singer confirmed it when she called Konecki her husband during her acceptance speech at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards for Album of the Year.
8. Currently, Adele holds a total of 15 Grammy Awards and 3 Guinness World Records.
9. She was Billboard’s ‘Artist of the Year’ in 2011 and 2012.
10. Adele’s album, ’21’, topped the US album charts for twenty-three consecutive weeks.
11. In 2012, the plus size singer came in sixth on Forbes’ list of highest-paid celebrities under the age of 30.
12. Along with Beyonce, Adele holds the record for the most categories won in a single night at the Grammys. She took home a total of six awards at the 2016 Grammys and five at the 2017’s.
13. Adele believes that music should be made for the gears, and not for the eyes. Therefore her plus size doesn’t affect her and she never hopes to get skinny.
14. She is a supporter of MusiCares, a charity set up by the Grammys which helps musicians in need.
15. So far, Adele has three albums, 19, 21 and 25. Her albums are usually named after her age as at the time of writing and production. She wrote the material for ’19’ when she was 19 years old, and it was released in 2008 when she was 20.
16. The single ‘Hello’ charted iTunes Single in 85 countries and the album ’25’ was on No.1 on iTunes Album Chart in 77 countries on preorder sales alone.
17. ‘Hello’ broke the record for most Shazams in 24 hours and the video broke the record for the most views on Vevo in 24 hours.
18. The success of 21 earned the singer numerous mentions in the Guinness Book of World Records and she is the first woman in the history of the Billboard Hot 100 to have three simultaneous top 10 singles as a lead artist, and the first female artist to simultaneously.
19. Surprisingly, the world-famous singer suffers from stage fright and panic attacks, which makes her throw up backstage on worse scenarios.
20. She has five tattoos; two on her left wrist, one on each hand and one behind her left ear.