The Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) is Nigeria’s foremost tertiary institution providing full-time and part-time students’ programs. It currently boasts a student population of over 16,000, while the total number of staff is about 1,600. The institution is ranked as the number one polytechnic in Nigeria in the 2021 Webometrics Ranking Web of Universities. In this piece, we will explore the YABATECH list of courses, their school fees structure, and how to go about paying the fees.
A Brief History of YABATECH
YABATECH was established in 1947 as a successor to Yaba Higher College. The institution is located in Yaba, Lagos State, Nigeria. By the virtue of Decree 23, it attained autonomous status in 1969, and it was granted the mandate to provide full-time and part-time courses of instruction and training in applied science; technology; agricultural production and distribution; commerce and management; and research.
The school is the first higher institution in the country to establish a full-fledged Center for Entrepreneurship Development, which offers compulsory courses that must be taken by all students enrolled in the institution throughout their stay. The center has also built strong linkages with the world of commerce and industry making it easy for graduates to forge ahead after their tertiary education. The college also has an Applied Research and Technology Innovation (ARTI) Unit, which was instituted for the promotion of research and the linkages between the students and the private organizations on research; and the linkages between YABATECH students and students of other institutions in the area of research as well.
YABATECH has two campuses – the main campus is at Yaba, while the second campus is located at Epe. The Epe campus houses the Michael Otedola Information and Communication Center, and the Department of Agricultural Technology. The institution started with the name Yaba Technical Institute in 1947 which was later changed by Nnamdi Azikiwe to Yaba College of Technology on 23rd September 1963. Later on, the name was changed to Federal Polytechnic Yaba but was changed back in 1980 to YABATECH.
The institution started with eight schools, 34 academic departments, and 64 ND, HND, and Post HND programs. In conjunction with the Federal University of Technology Akure and the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, it offers post-graduate diploma in Engineering and BSc (Ed) courses in Technical and Vocational Education. Let’s focus more on the school’s courses, fees, and how to go about paying the fees.
List of Courses Offered At YABATECH
Like we have already mentioned earlier, the institution which also offers certificate courses, started with eight schools and 34 academic departments with a total of 64 accredited programs, across ND, HND, and Post-HND levels. Here’s a list of the courses offered in the institution, grouped under their various schools or faculties.
School of Art, Design, and Printing
- Department of Fine Art
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Fashion Design
- Department of Printing Technology
- Department of Graphic Design
School of Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Agric and Bio-Environmental Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Industrial Maintenance Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Marine Engineering
- Department of Mineral and Petroleum Engineering
- Department of Mechatronics Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical Engineering
- Department of Welding and Fabrication Engineering
School of Environmental Studies
- Department of Architectures
- Department of Building Technology
- Department of Estate Management
- Department of Quantity Surveying
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics
School of Management and Business Studies
- Department of Accountancy
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Office Technology Management
- Department of Banking and Finance
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Public Administration
School of Science
- Department of Chemical Science
- Department of Biological Science
- Department of Physical Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Science Laboratory Technology
School of Technology
- Department of Computer Technology
- Department of Agricultural Technology
- Department Food Technology
- Department of Hospitality Management
- Department of Polymer and Textile Technology
- Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Department of Leisure and Tourism Management
School of Liberal Studies
- Department of Languages
- Department of Mass Communication
- Department of Social Science
Technical and Vocational Education
The department runs BSc. (Edu) programs in Technical Teachers Training Programmes (TTTP) in collaboration with the University of Nigeria, Nsuka, (UNN) and the Federal University of Technology, Akure, (FUTA) respectively. Presently, the following areas of specialization are offered in the programmes:
- Department of Art Education
- Fine and Applied Arts Education
- Department of Educational Foundations
- Department of Technical Education
- Department of Science Education
- Chemistry Education
- Biology Education
- Integrated Science Education
- Physics Education
- Mathematics Education
- Department of Vocational Education
- Industrial Technical Education (Elect/Elect)
- Industrial Technical Education (Metal Work)
- Industrial Technical Education (Building)
- Home Economics Education
- Computer Education
- Business Education
Yabatech Part-Time Courses
The YABATECH part-time programs run in two categories: one is Weekday/Evening Programs while the other is Weekend Programs. The weekday/evening programs offer certificates in HND while the weekend programs offer certificates in ND and HND. The part-time program is organized to run for six semesters. Below is a list of the courses approved for YABATECH’s part-time program.
- Computer Science
- Building Technology
- Hospitality Management
- Food Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Industrial Maintenance Engineering
- Science Laboratory Technology
- Physics and Electronics
- Environmental Biology
- Electrical Engineering (Electronics/Telecommunication and Power Machine options)
- Mechanical Engineering (Manufacturing/Power Plant options)
- Business Administration
- Banking and Finance
- Office Technology and Management
Admission Requirements At YABATECH
Prospective YABATECH students are regularly updated on the institution’s website about the school’s admission screening exercise. The required jamb score, O’level results, documents, and admission reviews are usually discussed on the website.
The standard and acceptable cut-off mark for any department in YABATECH for all prospective applicants are 180 and above as candidates who scored below 180 in JAMB will not be considered for admission. Admission in YABATECH is decided by calculating and adding a candidate’s JAMB and O’level results.
How to Check Your YABATECH Admission Status
Follow the steps below to check their admission status.
- Step 1: Go to the YABATECH admission checking portal at http://www.yabatech.edu.ng
- Step 2: When the page loads up, enter your JAMB Registration Number in the space provided.
- Step 3: Click on the “Check Admission Status” icon and your admission status will be displayed on your computer screen.
NB: Candidates whose names appeared on the list are advised to pay the stipulated fee within the stipulated period.
How Much Are YABATECH School Fees?
YABATECH’s tuition for full-time and part-time students is not the same for all courses and years. There are slight variations. It is also relatively cheaper than other state or private Polytechnic schools or universities. However, some federal universities pay cheaper than the institution.
At YABATECH, school fees are paid yearly, that is per session. Any student who fails to pay his/her fees on time will be made to pay a late payment fee or face other punishments. Like some other standard universities and institutions in Nigeria, the school fees are paid online, through the school website to avoid being scammed.
School Fees Schedule for the 2021/2022 Academic Session
Below is the school fees schedule for YABATECH for the 2021/2022 Academic session.
|S/N||Course||OND 1||OND 2|
|1||Banking and Finance||N44,500||N30,500|
|5||Banking and Finance||N39,500||N25,500|
|15||Industrial Maintenance Engineering||N44,500||N30,500|
|17||Office Technology Management||N44,500||N30,500|
|19||Science Laboratory Technology||N44,500||N30,500|
|26||Nutrition and Dietetics||N44,500||N30,500|
For HND, the tuition fee is ₦49,500.00 for HND 1 and N30,500 for HND 2. The exception is made for Business Administration, Accountancy, and Banking and Finance who pay N46,500 for HND 1; and N30,500 for HND 2. Also, Industrial Design-Fashion pays N51,500 for HND 1, and N30,500 for HND 2.
School Fees for Part-Time Students
Part-time OND students pay N75,500 for OND 1, N56,500 for OND 2, and N64,500 for OND 3, except for the following courses.
|S/N||Course||OND 1||OND 2||OND 3|
For the part-time HND, the school fees are N80,000 for HND 1, N56,500 for HND 2, and N64,500 for HND 3, except for a few courses that pay a little higher or a little lesser than others.
How To Pay YABATECH School Fees
To pay YABATECH school fees, you have to visit the student portal and log in with your details. Follow the procedure to make payments.
- Visit the student portal or go through the school website
- Enter your login details
- Generate a payment invoice that will contain the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) number
- Go to the banks with the invoice and make your payments.
- Collect a bank printout after the payment and go back to the school website
- Complete your payments online in your portal and print your school fees receipt.
- With this, you can proceed with any other registration like course registration and other things.