The Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) is one of Nigeria’s foremost tertiary institutions which provides both full time and part-time programmes for students.
YABATECH was established in 1947 as a successor to Yaba Higher College. It attained autonomous status in 1969 by virtue of Decree 23 which granted it the mandate to provide full-time and part-time courses of instruction and training in technology, applied science, commerce and management, agricultural production and distribution; and for research.
YABATECH Schools and Departments
The institution which also offers certificate courses has 8 schools and 34 academic departments with a total of 64 accredited programmes, across ND, HND and Post-HND levels.
School of Art, Design and Printing
- Department of Fine Art
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Printing Technology
School of Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Department of Industrial Maintenance Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
School of Environmental Studies
- Department of Architectures
- Department of Building Technology
- Department of Estate Management
- Department of Quantity Surveying
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Department of Land Surveying
School of Management and Business Studies
- Department of Accountancy and Finance
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Secretarial Studies
- Department of General Studies
School of Science
- Department of Chemical Science
- Department of Biological Science
- Department of Physical Science
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
School of Technology
- Department of Computer Technology
- Department Food Technology
- Department of Hotel and Catering Management
- Department of Polymer and Textile Technology
School of Liberal Studies
- Department of Languages
- Department of Mass Communication
Technical and Vocational Education
The department runs Bsc.(Edu) Programmes in Technical Teachers Training Programmes (TTTP) in collaboration with the University of Nigeria, Nsuka, Nigeria (UNN) and the Federal University of Technology, Akure, (FUTA) respectively. Presently the following areas of Specialisation are offered in the Programmes:
- Industrial Technical Education (Elect/Elect)
- Industrial Technical Education (Metal Work)
- Industrial Technical Education (Building)
- Home Economics Education
- Business Education
The college has a second campus at Epe where the Department of Agricultural Technology and Michael Otedola Information and Communication Centre are situated.
In November 2016, news emerged that the Senate had begun the process of converting YABATECH and the Kaduna Polytechnic (KADPOLY) into city universities.
The Bills were titled City University of Technology Yaba Bill, 2016 sponsored by Senator Gbenga Ashafa, APC, Lagos East and that of City University of Technology Kaduna Bill, 2016, and sponsored by Senator Jibrin Barau, APC, Kano North.
Admission Requirements At YABATECH
Prospective YABATECH students are regularly updated on the institution’s website about the school’s admission screening exercise. The required jamb score, O’level results, documents and admission reviews are usually discussed on the website.
The standard and acceptable cut off mark into any department in YABATECH for all prospective applicants is 180 and above as candidates who scored below 180 in JAMB will not be considered for admission. Admission in YABATECH is decided by calculating and adding a candidate’s JAMB and O’level results.
How To Check Your YABATECH Admission Status
Follow the steps below to check their admission status.
Step 1: Go to the YABATECH admission checking portal at: http://www.yabatech.edu.ng
Step 2: When the page loads up, enter your JAMB Registration Number in the space provided.
Step 3: Click on the “Check Admission Status” icon and your admission status will be displayed on your computer screen.