The Tecno BOOM J8 is an ideal smartphone unveiled by Asian phone maker – Tecno Mobile in March 2016. It is an upgrade to the Tecno Boom J7 with major improvements in the design and overall user experience.
In comparison to Boom J7, the Boom J8 has a huge IPS display, a 64-bit processor, bigger RAM, better camera and a Boom headset. It is a budget-friendly smartphone that promises a great multimedia experience.
The TECNO Boom J8 – a follow up Tecno Boom J7 – comes with Tecno’s new customized User Interface called the HiOS, making the device one of the fastest smartphones in terms of performance.
The HiOS is designed with practicality firmly in mind; HiOS icons are sleek, intuitive and instantly distinguishable. HiOS has a user-interface that has a clean look and it isn’t cluttered in any way. The lock screen and home screen have minimalist designs.
Tecno Boom J8 comes with a Boom headset which has stylish finishing, premium leather folding, and fitting sound cavity. The headset and phone speakers utilize the Maxx Audio technology that filters the uncluttered sound and produce the best quality sound.
Tecno BOOM J8 Specifications
Network and Software
- GSM: GSM 900 / 1800
- 3G: HSDPA 900 / 2100
- 4G: FDD-LTE 3(1800) / 7(2600) / 20(800)
- SIM Type: Dual SIM (Micro-SIM, dual standby)
- OS: Android 5.1 Lollipop with HiOS UI
The Tecno J8 still has a plastic body like the J7 but has a more appealing look. It has a metallic frame though with a more enhanced feel.
- Dimensions: 153.3 x 76.84 x 7.35 mm
- Weight: TBD
- Display: 5.5-inch, 720 x 1280 pixels (320 PPI), IPS Capacitive touchscreen
- Build: Plastic with metal trimmings
- Colours: Super White. Space Grey. Champagne Gold
- Processor Type: 64-bit Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53
- Processor Name: MediaTek MT6753
- Graphics Processor: Mali-T720
- RAM: 2 GB
- Internal Storage: 16 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 128 GB
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity
You can trust J8 camera with LED flash and autofocus for spectacular camera shots.
- Rear: 13 MP, 4864 x 2736 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- Video recording: Yes
- Front-facing: 5 MP with flash
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA,
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio: Max Audio + Boom Headphones
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player
- FM Radio: Yes
Network and Connectivity
- Bluetooth: v4.0
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- GPS: Yes
- USB: MicroUSB v2.0
- 2G GSM: 900 / 1800 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: 2100MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: No
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: IMAP4, POP3, SMTP
In terms of performance and OS, the Tecno Boom J8 is highly recommendable. This product is said to be the first to be powered by the company’s new HiOS software. This newly designed software is a custom version of Android 5.1 Lollipop.
There’s nothing to worry about regarding the sound of the Tecno Boom J8 which will also come with a Boom Headset. The sound quality configured by Maxx Audio technology ensures a great sound via its loudspeakers and headphones.
- Miscellaneous: Charming Breathing Light
- Charging: Fast Charge – 15 min for 8 hours of phone calls
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3,000 mAh
- Power Management: Ultra lower power mode
- Launch Date: March 2016
- Availability: March 2016
- Launch Price: ₦45,500 and ₦46,000
- Colours: Black, White, Silver, Gold
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: No
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: No (download at store)
- Video Editor: No (download at store)
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No (download at store)
- Navigation: Yes, GPS with A-GPS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Tecno mobile continues to make significant strides in the tech industry with its variety of tech products and brandings. Tecno was established in 2006 as Teno Telecom Limited. It later changed its name to Transsion Holdings and had Tecno as one of its subsidiaries.
iTel was the brand which made the company very popular being a user-friendly and budget-friendly brand. Tecno dished and served the African market with three mobile phone brands in 2010. More progress was made and the company came up with the best camera smartphone in 2016. Tecno Phantom 6 and 6 Plus followed immediately. Phantom 8 also followed and broke barriers in terms of sales.
Between 2017 and 2018, Tecno has made a good number of products including Tecno Camon CX – a led flash device, Tecno Spark K7, TECNO Spark K9, Camon CM, and others.