The SCUML registration portal is https://portal1.scuml.net/mhatabz.php. You can download, fill out, and submit the registration form on the SCUML website.
SCUML registration is essential for any non-financial institution in Nigeria. SCUML, which stands for Special Control Unit Against Money Laundering, is a body responsible for checkmating the activities of the Designated Non-Financial Institutions, otherwise known as DNFIs. DNFIs are high cash demanding companies presumed to be potentially exposed to huge fraud/money laundering due to the business type.
SCUML being a subunit of the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC), was established in September 2005 by the federal government of Nigeria. SCUML serves as a structure for curtailing money laundering and terrorist financing in the DNFI sector. It is also essential for the sanitization of the said sector to create an enabling environment for the promotion of commerce and investment.
The body ensures adequate supervision of DNFIs, including registration, inspection on a risk-based approach, ensuring rendition of statutory reports (cash-based transaction reports, currency transaction reports, suspicious transaction reports), training, and workforce development. In other words, SCUML validates a business account, making sure it’s not used for money laundering.
Businesses That Need SCUML Registration
Businesses that need SCUML certificates are cash-intensive businesses. It is a vital tool for
opening and operating a bank account for many businesses and professionals in Nigeria. The following type of businesses are expected to have already registered with the financial regulatory body if they haven’t already done so.
- Non-profit organizations
- Dealers in real estate, estate developers
- Construction Companies
- Dealers in luxury goods
- Chartered accountants
- Audit firms
- Tax consultants
- Clearing and settlement companies
- Audit and accounting firms
- Trust and company service providers
- Estate surveyors and valuers
- Mortgage Brokers
- Dealers in precious stones and metals
- Agents and brokers
- Hospitality Industry
- Consultants and Consulting Companies
- Importers and dealers in cars or any other automobiles
- Dealers in mechanized farming equipment and machinery: practitioners of mechanized
- Pool betting: Lottery businesses include fixed odds, pari-mutuel, lottery (betting),
scratch card gaming and other forms of gaming.
Nigerian Bar Association has obtained a valid court judgment against this requirement
Although legal practitioners are listed both by law and regulations as professionals that
need SCUML certificate.
SCUML Registration Forms
The SCUML registration form is online as it is an online registration. To register with the Special Control Unit Against Money Laundering (SCUML), visit their website and click on the “Online Registration” tab. You will need to fill out the registration form and attach the required documents.
SCUML Registration Form Download
You can download the SCUML registration form from their website. Once you are on the website, click on the “Online Registration” tab and fill out the registration form. You will also need to attach the required documents listed on the website. When you are done, you can download the form, print and sign it if you wish. Alternatively, you can sign it online.
SCUML Registration Portal Login
To access the SCUML registration portal, please visit https://portal1.scuml.net/mhatabz.php and fill out the registration form with the required details. You will need to upload the necessary documents to complete the registration process.
How To Register With SCUML
Scuml Registration can be done online in a straightforward and stress-free method. All a business has to do is log on to the SCUML website, click and complete the online registration form. The applicant will be requested to attach the required documents. SCUML registration is free of charge as long as you have your smartphone and internet access.
The days of waiting for so long to get your certificate are over as it takes 2-3 weeks to completely register, and what’s more, you can get it in less time. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to get your registration done with ease in the comfort of your home.
How To Register Through The SCUML Registration Portal
- Visit the SCUML website: scuml.org
- Click on the tab “Online Registration.”
• Fill out the registration form. As you will see, the following essential details should be provided when filling out the form:
- Name of incorporation/Business name to be registered
- CAC type, i.e., type of CAC incorporation, a business name, a company limited by shares, incorporated trustee, etc.
- RC No or BN Number (registered company or business name number on your Certificate
of Incorporation from CAC)
- Date of Company’s Registration
- TIN Number
- Company’s Trade Name (Not mandatory)
- DNFI Category
- BVN (Bank Verification Number)
- Company Account Number
- Bank Name
- Brief Description of Business (Not Mandatory)
- Head Office Address
- Phone Number
- JTB No (Taxpayer ID No) (Not Mandatory)
- Branch Office(s) Address (Physical Address)
- Website/URL (Not Mandatory)
- Director’s Name
- Upload all documents in support of the information already submitted (not exceeding
2MB and in pdf format, all in one document)
- Indication of Preferred Nearest SCUML Office to pick up your certificate.
- Email Address & Password for login details to the SCUML portal
- Contact Person for The Organization (Name, Email address, and phone number) note
that such a person must be one of the organization’s management staff.
- Click on Submit.
A business gets an email from SCUML once registration is successfully done. After approval, a certificate is issued, and ONLY THE DIRECTOR(S) of the company can go to the pre-chosen SCUML office to collect the certificate. A soft copy will also be sent to the applicant’s email after approval.
SCUML Registration Requirements
There are requirements a company must meet before SCUML can register it. Regardless of the application methods, the requirements remain the same. Below are the listed requirements contained in the CAC incorporation document of a firm.
- Certificate of Incorporation
- BN FORM 01 (for Business Name)
- FORM CAC 1.1 (for Limited Liability Companies)
- Memorandum And Articles Of Association (MEMART)
- Evidence of Tax Registration
- Professional certificates (for professional companies)
Requirements for Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)/Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs)
- Certificate of incorporation
- Incorporation of Trustees or CAC7
- Constitution or MEMART
- Evidence of tax registration (TIN Number/Tax exemption)
- Requirements for State Registration
- Certificate of registration from the State where-in it operates
- Audited financial report (if available)
- Valid means of identification (not less than three executives directors)
- Evidence of tax Registration (TIN Number/tax exemption)
Documents Required For International NGOs/NPOs
- Evidence of agreement with the National Planning Committee(NPC)
- Constitution of the NGO
- Profile of the NGO
- Evidence of tax Registration (TIN Number/tax exemption)
SCUML Registration Fee
You are not required to pay any fee for SCUML registration. You can register for SCUML on their website for free.
How to Check SCUML Registration Status
To check your SCUML registration status, you can visit the SCUML website and enter your registration number in the field provided. After that, click on the “CHECK STATUS” button. If your registration has been approved, your status will be displayed as “ACTIVE”. If your registration is still being processed, your status will be displayed as “PENDING”.
Where Can One Go For SCUML Certificate Pick Up?
All certificates can be picked up within the country at the nearest SCUML office. SCUML has zonal offices in eleven states across the federation. Below are SCUML office addresses in Nigeria where one can go pick up the certificate when registration is completed.
- Lagos: 15, Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos Lagos State.
- Abuja: 5 Fomella Street, Off Ademola Adetokunbo Crescent, Wuse II, Abuja.
- Port Harcourt: 8 Bank Road, Off Moscow Road, Port Harcourt Rivers State.
- Kano: GP 360 Bida Road, Civic Center, Kano State.
- Gombe: 4 EFCC Street, New G.R.A, Gombe State.
- Enugu: Plot 106 Federal Government College Road, Independent Layout, Enugu State.
- Edo: 2 Court Road, By Reservations Road, GRA, Oka, Benin City, Edo.
- Ibadan: 16, Rev Oyebode Crescent Iyaganku, G.R.A, Ibadan.
- Maiduguri: Plot 80 Baba Shehu Lamin Street, Opposite Elkanemi College, Tudun Wada
Layout. Maiduguri Borno State.
- Kaduna: 4 Wurno Road, Badarawa Kaduna, Kaduna State.
- Akwa Ibom: 3 Akparawa Crescent Off Edet Akpan Avenue, Ewet Housing Estate, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
How To Download SCUML Registration Guideline
You can also download the SCUML Registration guideline for further clarification and guidance. It is a detailed procedure that includes the essential documents needed for the various business types. Follow these steps to view the guidelines:
- Visit the site scuml.org
- On the extreme right, click on the registration Guideline
- You will find a detailed copy of the guidelines in the pdf
But to download the guidelines;
- visit: https://www.scuml.org/registration-guidline/
- Click on SCUML Online Registration Guideline Download