Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Explodes, Burns Man While Asleep


An Australian man was left with burns when his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 exploded as he slept in his hotel room in Western Australia. Tham Hua, said his Samsung smartphone had exploded in his hotel room while it was plugged in and charging

“My brand new Note 7 exploded this morning while I was still asleep, it was plugged in and charging. Phone completely fried as Samsung told me this is the first case in Australia.”

He said that it charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when he whacked it down to the floor, adding that it had also burnt one of his fingers while he was doing that too.

Also See: Samsung Recall All Galaxy Note 7 Smartphones Worldwide

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Hua said the accident caused 1,300 dollars worth of damage to his hotel room which Samsung offered to cover.

“Samsung staff had ‘no idea’ what to do with my phone when I took it to a Samsung store ‘wrapped’ in newspaper and inside a zip-lock bag. It’s the first time they saw such a thing. They gave me a loan device, and I have been promised that they will take care of the hotel damages bill.’

Samsung had issued a global recall for its flagship Smartphone Galaxy Note 7 units in early September after the technology giant discovered a battery fault in the phone which caused it to explode.

More than 35 cases of the exploding battery defect have been reported since the phone, which retails for $1,035, was launched on August 19.

Samsung has warned all owners of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 to turn off their phones and leave them off until they can be exchanged.

Also See: The World’s First Self Driving Taxi Put To Test In Singapore

Samsung Electronics Australia advised all customers who use a Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone to power down their device return it to its place of purchase. It also advised that such customers should use an alternative device until a remedy can be provided.