As the much anticipated Ballon d’Or 2016 draws closer, a Barcelona-based newspaper Mundo Deportivo, has claimed that Cristiano Ronald, not Lionel Messi, will emerge as the winner of Ballon d’Or next Monday, December 12.
According to the well connected journalist, Francesc Aguilar who revealed the result, Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo will receive football’s top individual prize for the fourth time, adding that the announcement will be made at 7pm on the same day.
Meanwhile it is expected that L’Equipe will reveal the votes for each of the 30 players on the shortlist including:
- Sergio Aguero (Manchester City),
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Borussia Dortmund),
- Gareth Bale (Real Madrid), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus),
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid),
- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City),
- Paulo Dybala (Juventus),
- Diego Godin (Atlético Madrid),
- Antoine Griezmann (Atlético Madrid),
- Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli/Juventus),
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PSG/Manchester United)
- Andrés Iniesta (Barcelona),
- Koke (Atletico Madrid),
- Toni Kroos (Real Madrid),
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich),
- Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Riyad Mahrez (Leicester),
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Luka Modric (Real Madrid),
- Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich),
- Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich),
- Neymar (Barcelona),
- Dimitri Payet (West Ham United),
- Pepe (Real Madrid),
- Paul Pogba (Manchester United),
- Rui Patricio (Sporting Portugal),
- Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid),
- Luis Suarez (Barcelona),
- Jamie Vardy (Leicester City),
- Arturo Vidal (Bayern Munich).
High profile players omitted from the list include Mesut Ozil, N’Golo Kante, PSG’s Angel Di Maria and Juventus’ Leonardo Bonucci.
Cristiano Ronaldo has obviously worked his way up the lader with remarkable performances, capped by his victory at both the Champions League with Real Madrid and the European Championships with Portugal this in the summer.
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi has won the Ballon d’Or more than any known player, but according to Mirror UK, it seems the Portuguese superstar is a strong betting favourite, available at 1/6, while the Argentinian is joined by Antoine Griezmann as joint-second favourite at 5/1.