Police Foil Attempted Jailbreak In Ebonyi State


Police in Ebonyi State on Thursday morning foiled a jailbreak attempt at the Abakiliki Prisons, where inmates rioted for hours.

During the riot, the inmates allegedly snatched a rifle from one of the guards in the prison yard and shot some at them and in an attempt to defend themselves, about 13 inmates were shot dead.

In the course of the riot, the leader of the inmates, who allegedly incited other inmates against the officials, was allegedly killed.

Also See: Blogger Abubakar Usman Sues EFCC Over Arrest And Detention

According to a source, the inmates began rioting  over the poor meals served to them by the prison and attempted to escape from the facility, they had already broken through a wall when anti-riot policemen arrived and tear gassed them into submission.

Ebonyi State Comptroller of Prisons, Mrs. Oputa Emilia, confirmed the incident, saying three persons were injured but denied the loss of any live.

She confirmed that the angry prisoners broke part of the fence and attempted a jailbreak, adding that the situation had been brought under control.

The inmates rioted over poor meals served them by the prison

Governor David Umahi, who visited the prisons after the incidence, reportedly declared a state of emergency on Abakaliki Prisons.

He decried the level of infrastructure decay at the Abakiliki Prison, saying the condition was not good for the inmates and recalled that the structure was built in the 1960s.

The governor promised to partner the prisons authorities to modernize the prison facilities.

This is coming just one week after about 15 inmates were reported to have escaped Nsukka Prison in Enugu state. According to sources, the inmates carefully opened their cells and before prison officials on night duty knew what was happening, about 15 of them had escaped scaling the perimeter fence of the prisons.

Also See: Jail Break! 15 Inmates Escape From Nsukka Prison

However, two days later, the Nigeria Prisons Service claimed it has re-arrested six of the escapees. They were reportedly re-arrested while attempting to board commercial vehicles to flee the town.