Every year since 1973 when the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) was established through a decree by General Yakubu Gowon, degree and HND graduates in Nigeria embark on a one-year mandatory service program. Once a graduate is eligible for the service, he/she must go through the NYSC registration which is made easy following the scheme’s portal, making a certain payment and completing other personal and academic information.
It is worthy of note that the NYSC scheme has become an important part of Nigerian graduates, even Nigerian that go to school abroad. It was created to foster unity among youths by reconstructing and developing Nigeria through their different experiences by spending three weeks in camp and the other months of the one-year program serving a community through a Place of Primary Assignment (PPA).
However, the Nigerian government does not ask youths to go on this mandatory 1-year service without giving them a monthly stipend that is slightly above Nigeria’s labour minimum wage. When Nigeria’s minimum wage was ₦18,000, the NYSC was giving NYSC members ₦19,800 as a monthly stipend. As a result of the minimum wage increment to ₦30,000, NYSC members currently receive ₦33,000 monthly and bicycle allowance in the NYSC camp and upon the completion of the service year.
NYSC Eligibility Criteria
Before you become eligible for the NYSC registration, one must first of all graduate from an approved institution that awards a degree or HND in Nigeria or outside. The second criterion is to be on the senate list of your institution while the third is to be called by NYSC through a mobilization letter. This will then require registration where a candidate will upload information to be qualified for the green letter (call-up letter).
NYSC Senate List and How to Check
The Senate list, also called the Senate mobilization list, is a list of approved institutions whose students are eligible to be mobilized for the national service.
How To Check Senate List
- Go to the NYSC senate list portal using this link
- Select your Institution.
- Fill in your Matriculation Number and surname in the required boxes.
- Select your date of birth.
- Click the search button to see your mobilization status.
Step By Step Guide To NYSC Registration For Nigerian and International Graduates and the Requirements
- Visit the NYSC registration portal
- Verify your name on the senate list
- If you have logged in before but could not finish your registration, follow this link to log in.
- You’ll need to create your NYSC log in details using an e-mail and a password. You’ll always need these login details to log into your NYSC portal.
- Open your email and click on the activation link sent to you by NYSC
- Fill your details
- Pay registration fee using your Mastercard, Verve, or Visa
- Capture biometric (this must be done by the candidate as the same process will be carried out in camp)
- Upload a recent passport photograph with a clear off white background
- Preview the form to correct any mistakes
- Agree with terms and conditions
- Upload your scanned signature or sign using a digital signature scanner
- Submit your NYSC application
- Print out your NYSC registration slip
- You can always log in using your NYSC log-in details to correct errors.
Requirements For Registration For Foreign Students
- Certificate of degree or HND
- Complete official transcript of your first degree or HND course
- Graduates from any Indian institution must provide a Marksheet
- O’level certificate directly from a secondary or high school as online printouts are not acceptable.
- National Youth Service Corp prospective members must have not less than 5 credits at a maximum of 2 sittings.
- Candidates who did TOP-UP program/course are expected to upload their foundation certificate. Eg APTECH, OND, NIIT, INFORMATICS, etc.
- Candidates who studied courses that require a license to practice must present their certificate of registration and license.
- Entry visa to the country of study
- Date of the first time you left Nigeria
- Date of return following the study
- Data page of international passport
- Candidates with more than 1 citizenship must upload data pages of both International Passports and present the passports for verification at the physical verification venue and camp.
- In a case where there is a loss of passport, you must present a police and immigration report from the country where the documents were missing, sworn affidavit, evidence that you stayed in the presented country as well as a new international passport, personal data page of the newly obtained international passport be uploaded.
- In a case where there is a loss of academic credentials, you’ll need a police report, sworn affidavit, confirmation of result from either the examination body (for O’level) or institution of graduation (loss of tertiary institution certificate), personal data page of the newly obtained international passport be uploaded.
- Original certificates are to be presented in camp.
- Certificates that are not written in English must be translated at the embassy or any Nigerian university that the language is studied before you upload or present it to NYSC.
NYSC Requirements for Married Women
- All registration procedures must be followed
- Provision of marriage certificate
- Proof of change of name should be uploaded online and presented in camp.
- Husband’s identification, eg driver’s license, international passport, national ID card, etc.
How Much Does NYSC Registration Cost?
Although the NYSC online form is free, a call-up number fee which is known as the registration fee is ₦2500. This excludes the charges a cybercafe would ask for the online registration services. However, many of these cafes charge about ₦1000 – ₦2000. This fee applies to both graduates from Nigerian and international institutions.
All these charges are independent of what you may have to spend on getting an up-to-date passport photograph among other miscellaneous charges.
Complete Registration Validates NYSC Call-Up Letter
Upon the completion of the registration and before a newly mobilized corp member heads to the orientation camp, the person is required to print his call-up letter which is proof that the person has signed for national service.
A typical NYSC call-up letter contains the following:
- The person’s name
- Call-up number
- The institution you studied at
- State of origin
- State of deployment
- Date of reporting
- The course of study
- Address of his orientation camp.
NYSC call-up number is quite different from the National Youth Service Corps certificate number, although the two keep confusing many acclaimed graduates and ex-corp members.
A corp member’s call-up number is the combination of abbreviation of National Youth Service Corps, the state where he/she is posted, the institution he/she graduated from, the year and batch he/she is posted to serve, and then his/her unique number. For instance, an undergraduate’s call-up looks this way – NYSC/AB/BEN/218/142356
- NYSC – National Youth Service Corps
- AB – Abia State – where he/she is posted to serve
- BEN – University of Benin where he/she graduated from
- 218 – 2018 is the year he/she is mobilized for service
- 142356 – his/her unique number.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is NYSC Compulsory For Foreign Graduates?
NYSC is compulsory for every Nigerian graduate whether they were schooled in Nigeria or abroad. An exception is made in the case of disability, if you are above 30, or have served in the military or paramilitary for more than a year.
- How Many Batches are in NYSC?
There are 3 different batches in the National Youth Service Corps. They are Batch A, Batch B, and Batch C.
- What Is The Age Limit for NYSC?
30 and above cannot serve as a youth corps member. In this case, an exemption letter is issued out to the graduate.
- Do I Need to go to NYSC Camp with my Practice License as a Medical Graduate?
Yes. All prospective corps members who studied medical-related courses must take their licenses to the orientation camp.
- Do I Need to go to the NYSC Camp with my Documents?
Yes. All prospective corps members are expected to go to the orientation camp with original documents whether locally or foreign-trained.
- How Do I Collect my Exemption Letter/Certificate?
Graduates from Nigerian institutions who are exempted from service should make sure they collect their exemption certificates on time from their institutions. If there is any mistake, NYSC will only help within 3 months.
On the other hand, foreign graduates should visit the NYSC Headquarters with their original documents for clearance and collection of their exemption certificates.
- How Do I Correct Any Mistake?
Visit the senate correction page and log in with your correct details of matriculation number, date of birth, and institution.
If the correction will be done on your exemption certificate, follow this procedure:
- Visit your institution and lay your complaint at the Student Affairs Office
- The Student Affairs is saddled with the responsibility of forwarding your complaint to NYSC stating your correct information.
- The officer will also return the certificate to the scheme for proper checking and correction before it will be returned to you.
- Is the JAMB Admission Letter Needed for NYSC?
Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB) is important as you will get cleared through it to qualify for mobilization. For graduates who did not get admission through JAMB, they can apply for regularization in order to register for NYSC mobilization.
- How Do I Contact NYSC?
NYSC National Directorate Headquarters: Plot 416, Tigris Cresent Off Aguiyi Ironsi Street, Maitama. PMB 138, Garki, Abuja
- When is NYSC’s Next Batch?
NYSC has a different timetable for each year’s batch and mobilization. Click here to view the NYSC mobilization timetable.