NYSC Mourns Corps Member Who Died Of Lassa Fever In Kaduna State


The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is currently mourning the death of a corps member, Dr. Ogboji Kelechi Aaron, who was reportedly killed last month, by the Lassa fever, while in active service in Kaduna State.

The corps member, who is a medical doctor serving St Louis Hospital, Zonkwa, in Zango Kataf local government area of Kaduna State, reportedly got infected with the virus after treating a patient with the ailment.

Also See: Nigerian Fraudster Faces 127 Years Imprisonment In The US For Online Seduction And Blackmail


The Director-General of the Scheme, Brig-Gen. Johnson Olawumi, confirmed the death of the corps member during a press briefing at the State Secretariat of the Corps in Abakaliki, Ebonyi state. He described Dr. Ogboji as an exceptional corps member who was fully dedicated to his duties and in the process, paid the supreme sacrifice.

The  family of the deceased has however, called for an enquiry into the circumstances leading to the death of their son.

Wilfred Ogboji, the elder brother to Kelechi, who spoke to reporters in Abakaliki, accused St. Louis Hospital Zonkwa in Zango Kataf local government area of negligence.

Quoting him:

My brother Dr Ogboji Kelechi died on 20th Feb 2016. He died of Lassa fever because after his death they had to take him to Jos University Teaching Hospital where they said they were going to conduct an autopsy but along the line they collected his saliva, blood and urine which they used to confirm that it was a case of Lassa Fever.

I am in pain and in deep sorrow because it is a very deep loss to us and our father too has been sick for a very long time. He has diabetes and I pray that God will strengthen him for me.

We are not comfortable with his death and the way he was handled in his place of primary assignment where he served because I was made to understand that my brother was sick for about two weeks. They dumped him in the hospital and they were busy treating him with malaria. I believe that if they had taken him to a better hospital he would not have died.

Why didn’t they take his samples and conduct a test as the malaria drug they were giving him was not working. We are calling for an inquiry by NYSC into how he died. They should go to where he served at Louis Edet Hospital in Zonkwa and confirm how he was treated to find out how he died.

Meanwhile, the NYSC has announced that it will re-open orientation camps in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states before the end of 2016.

Also See: Nigerian Girls Slams Mikel Obi And His Girlfriend On Instagram

Topics: >