The National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) has suspended its three-day warning strike that began yesterday, after a deal was reached with the government, international oil companies (IOCs), and other stakeholders in the industry over the issues.
The union which had been at loggerheads with IOCs over unfair treatment and sack of workers had on Wednesday began a three-day warning strike.
Chevron was alleged to have sacked over 300 NUPENG members without benefits late last year. The company also reportedly failed to recall the workers after the Ministry of Labour and Employment ordered that all parties return to status quo. PENGASSAN also accused Mobil of sacking over 100 workers without following laid down procedure.
Speaking with journalists at the end of the meeting that lasted over five hours in Abuja, NUPENG President, Igwe Achese, said having been satisfied with the commitment shown by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige and the Ministry of Petroleum over the issues, the union decided to suspend the strike.Mr. Achese
Mr. Achese said:
“I am happy to say that each and every issue raised has been addressed and I hope that all parties will be committed to implement the agreement.
“We have therefore decided to call off the three- day warning strike.”
Achese also commended the Minister for his intervention in addressing the issues raised by the union.
Mr. Ngige urged all oil companies that entered into the collective agreement to ensure its implementation.
Other groups at the meeting were the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN), Nigeria National Petroleum Co-operation (NNPC), National Salaries and Wages Commission, oil and Servicing companies, among others.