More whistle-blowers than expected have reportedly approached the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to claim the 5 percent reward for directing the agency towards the N13 billion discovered in an Ikoyi apartment.
It seems some people are spinning webs around the cash reward as a petition published by PRNigeria on Tuesday revealed that the number of persons laying claim to the reward had increased to nine.
The original whistle-blowers have petitioned the office of the Attorney General of the Federation(AGF) and Minister of Justice, claiming that EFCC officials are attempting to shortchange them by introducing outsiders.
Written in the document are statements by Solicitors which reads:
“Our clients informed us sometime in December 2016 that three (3) of them voluntarily walked into the office of the EFCC at 15A Awolowo Road Ikoyi, Lagos and gave vital information that led to the recovery of over N13 billion at the Ikoyi Towers, Lagos.”
“Upon subsequent visit to give a detailed information as required by the commission to raid the Tower, they were told if the operation was successful, 5% of the amount recovered will be their take-home within 72 hours of recovery, they were also cautioned that if the information happened to be false, then they will definitely be in trouble which the three mentioned above accepted because they were sure of their facts.”
“That when the operation was carried out, it was successful but since then they have not received any commendation by the commission, let alone give any reward as stated even though the EFCC have their names and phone numbers.”
The petition further disclosed that rather than to do the needful, some of the EFCC staff claimed they were not the only people who brought information on the Ikoyi Tower as others were also involved without mentioning them.
Upon various meetings by the three persons, they agreed to go back and meet the Head of EFCC operations, Alhaji Samaila Muhammed but were told that the numbers of whistle-blowers have increased to nine (9) individuals and urged them to bring the remaining persons.
In responses to the sudden development, the Special Adviser to the Minister of Finance on Media, Yinka Akintunde said such issues should be referred to EFCC, stipulating that it was not the responsibility of the Ministry.
Akintunde added that the ministry would only come in when the rightful persons have been duly recognised by the relevant authorities for payment after due process.