At least nine persons were killed on Tuesday morning when improvised explosive devices conveyed in a pickup van exploded along Gubio road in Borno state, just before a military checkpoint, killing all passengers on board.
The pickup van was said to have emerged from the bush path along Maiduguri-Gubio town carrying the nine passengers and exploded shortly after climbing the tarred road heading towards Gubio, a town 80km away from Maiduguri.
The Public Relations Officer of the Borno Police Command, DSP Victor Isuku, confirmed the incident. He said:
“There was an explosion today along Gubio road just before the military check point.”
Tuesday’s blast is the fifth in a series of recent bomb attacks within and around Maiduguri in the last three weeks.
Just last Saturday, October 29, not less than seven persons were killed in a twin blast that rocked Maiduguri. The twin blasts, which echoed across the city, occurred at two different spots, about 1km apart.
The first bomb exploded at about 7am at a coffee drinking spot in front of the Bakkasi Internally Displaced People (IDP) camp along Maiduguri-Damboa road reportedly killing at least five people.
While the second bomb exploded in a tricycle in front of an NNPC depot also along the same route.at about 7.35a.m, killing a woman and the rider. It was not clear who the bomber was between the woman and the tricycle driver.
An official of the Civilian-JTF, Alhaji DanBatta, who had confirmed the two incidents, said that the first blast came from suicide bombers who were trying to invade Bakassi IDP camp, one of the largest displaced persons camp in Maiduguri.
The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Abayomi Olonishaki, had last week said that Boko Haram been completely defeated, adding that it did not matter whether its supposed leader, Abubakar Shekau has been killed or not.