The Federal Government has sacked the directors and heads of six information-related parastatals under the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.
The directors affected include Directors-General of Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Mr.Sola Omole; Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) Ladan Salihu; Voice of Nigeria (VON) Sam Worlu; National Orientation Agency (NOA) Mike Omeri; Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) Emeka Mba, and the Director of News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Ima Niboro.
The the special adviser to Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, disclosed this on Monday during a meeting he held with the Chief Executives of the parastatals. Mr. Lai thanked them for their service to the nation, asking them to hand over to the most senior officials in their various establishments.
Mr. Niboro, director of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), confirmed that he and his colleagues have been removed.
“The minister met with us at 9 a.m today to inform us of government’s decision to replace us,” Mr. Niboro said. ”He said he wanted us to be the first to know so we don’t get to read it on the pages of newspapers. We thank President Buhari and the minister for giving us the opportunity to serve the administration for the past eight months. Some of us knew the pressure under which the government had been to remove us. So our removal this morning is understandable.
“I especially thank the minister for the gentlemanly manner he handled the whole matter. We are grateful and will continue to hold him in high esteem.” he said.
The minister had late last year accused the directors of partisanship and lack of professionalism. He was quoted to have said “Why have you all chosen to play second fiddle in the country’s media landscape? I ask because the NTA and FRCN of yesterday is not the same as what we have today.”