Niger Delta Avengers has said it renewed attacks in the region because the Federal Government refused to honour the ceasefire agreement.
The militant group, in a statement released on Sunday through its spokesman, Mudoch Agbinibo, said the Pan Niger Delta Forum led by Chief Edwin Clark should not blame it for resuming attacks on oil facilities in the region but to blame both the Federal Government and the Nigerian military for the fresh attacks.
The group said the military has been invading communities in the region and arresting innocent citizens. The group also said in a statement:
“We see this as a deliberate move by the military establishment to undermine any effort of dialogue and negotiations with the people of the Niger Delta.
“We ask for understanding on the side of the PANDEF and the general public. The High command of the NDA is only reacting to government’s deliberate attempts to undermine the dialogue process and negotiations.”
The Avenger had last week claimed blowing up another Trans Forcados Export Pipeline in the creeks of Warri South West Council Area of Delta State. The third onslaught on the facility by militants since Niger Delta leaders met with President Muhammadu Buhari, November 1, at Abuja.
Claiming responsibility for the attack, Niger Delta Avengers, NDA , on it’s twitter handle @Agbinibond, gave reasons for the attack, as: “The action is to further stress that we don’t appreciate the repairs of blown pipelines.”
The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu, however, expressed government’s disappointment at the spate of attacks on Forcados export pipeline by the group despite the ongoing dialogue with leaders of the region.
He appealed to all interested stakeholders in the Niger Delta to embrace peace and dialogue and shun acts that would create difficulties for the country, impoverish and worsen the ecological problems of the region.
He also urged all militant groups in the region to stop and give dialogue a chance to birth peace in the region.