NDLEA ranks and salary structure are strictly based on the consolidated remuneration process of all paramilitary agencies in Nigeria. An increase in rank and salary is based on the recruitment level and the qualifications the personnel presented when joining the agency.
The salary of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency is determined by the level at which you are assigned after joining the agency. Those who entered the service with a bachelor’s degree are assigned to Level 8 while those who joined with an HND are Level 7. Level 8 employees tend to have greater ranks and salaries, whereas Level 7 employees tend to have lower pay and rankings. The same is applicable to those who joined the agency with ND and SSSC.
List of NDLEA Ranks in Nigeria
NDLEA makes use of the Consolidated Paramilitary Salary Structure (COMPASS) in its ranks and salary structure. The agency ensures that their staff is promoted as and when due, which they consider a means of boosting the morale of the officers to perform their duties. Below are the ranks available in the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency of Nigeria:
NDLEA Commissioned Officers Ranks
These are the high-ranking officers of the agency, who are recruited through a clear consideration of their academic qualifications. The ranks under the commissioned officers of the NDLEA start from the Assistant Superintendent of Narcotics to the Commander General of Narcotics.
The highest rank, which is the Commander General of Narcotics, comes mostly as an appointment from the President. Every commissioned officer of NDLEA wishes to attain the highest rank in the agency.
- Commander General of Narcotics (CGN)
- Deputy Commander General of Narcotics (DCGN)
- Assistant Commander General of Narcotics (ACGN)
- Commander of Narcotics (CN)
- Deputy Commander of Narcotics (DCN)
- Assistant Commander of Narcotics (ACN)
- Chief Superintendent of Narcotics (CSN)
- Superintendent of Narcotics (SN)
- Deputy Superintendent of Narcotics (DSN)
- Assistant Superintendent of Narcotics I (ASN)
- Assistant Superintendent of Narcotics II (ASN)
Non-Commissioned NDLEA Officers’ Ranks
These are the lower ranks of the NDLEA, which are also considered through the qualification of the officer during recruitment. Some of the officers under this category of rank joined NDLEA with WAEC, ND, and HND. Below are the ranks under the non-commissioned officer category of the NDLEA:
- Chief Narcotic Agent (CNA)
- Senior Narcotic Agent (SNA)
- Senior Narcotic Assistant I (SNA I)
- Narcotic Agent (NA)
- Narcotic Assistant 1 (NA I)
- Narcotic Assistant (NA)
How often do Officers of NDLEA get Promoted?
The most recent promotion of officers in NDLEA was done in June 2021. NDLEA promoted three thousand, five hundred and six (3,506) officers to their next ranks. All paramilitary agencies like the NDLEA expect promotion into a new rank from 2 to 3 years after the last promotion was offered.
Certain factors can, however, negate this fact, as the agency considers the following before a promotion is approved:
- Conduct of the Officer
- Years of Service
- Contributions or Achievement made by the officer
- Recommendations based on merit
Promotions in the NDLEA Officer Ranks result in an immediate increase to the next level of the agency’s salary structure.
NDLEA Salary Structure
As we have pointed out, NDLEA is one of the paramilitary agencies in Nigeria. The salary structure of NDLEA is not excluded from the combined activities that relate to all paramilitary agencies in the country. The salary structure of all the paramilitary agencies in the country is regulated under the Consolidated Paramilitary Salary Structure (CONPASS).
Also note that the police force is the only paramilitary not regulated by this body, but is regulated by the Police Paramilitary Salary Structure.
In NDLEA, the lowest-paid officer should be in CONPASS 1 STEP 1. As we progress, we will outline all the levels in the CONPASS and their monthly salary structure, as well as their annual salary structure.
All efforts to get information that would specify the NDLEA salary structure of each rank in line with the CONPASS were futile. But all the ranks in the NDLEA still fall in with the CONPASS grading system. This is the reason why we will have to specify the CONPASS monthly and annual salary structure.
NDLEA Monthly and Annual Salary Structure According to CONPASS
Below is the monthly salary of officers of NDLEA according to the grading system of CONPASS:
- CONPASS grade 1 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N46,320 to N47,565 monthly and 410,667 to 451,057 annually.
- CONPASS grade 2 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N45,067 to N47,654 monthly and 451,076 to 307,567 annually.
- CONPASS grade 3 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N48,854 to N49,553 monthly and 322,067 to 492,748 annually.
- CONPASS grade 4 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N51,645 to N55,353 monthly and 323,856 to 508,364 annually.
- CONPASS grade 5 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N54,746 to N59,756 monthly and N324,545 to N510,380 annually.
- CONPASS grade 6 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N90,456 to N98,336 monthly and N327,048 to N521,067 annually.
- CONPASS grade 7 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N110,743 to N130,293 monthly and N382,508 to N536,278 annually.
- CONPASS grade 8 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N143,023 to N151,087 monthly and N802,745 to 851,038 annually.
- CONPASS grade 9 from steps 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N151,739 to N179,050 monthly and N902,568 to N987,523 annually.
- CONPASS grade 10 from step 1 to 10 receives a basic salary in the range of N205,673 to N223,450 monthly and N2,456,300 to N2,109,389 annually.
- CONPASS grade 11 from steps 1 to 8 receives a basic salary in the range of N220,384 to N256,749 monthly and N2,564,739 to N2,653,738 annually.
- CONPASS grade 12 from steps 1 to 8 receives a basic salary in the range of N236,578 to N268,906 monthly and N3,122,689 to N3,245,698 annually.
- CONPASS grade 13 from steps 1 to 8 receives a basic salary in the range of N307,826 to N378,008 monthly and N3,389,087 to N4,217,890 annually.
- CONPASS grade 14 from steps 1 to 7 receives a basic salary in the range of N353,238 to N378,008 monthly and N4,307,669 to N6,098,647 annually.
- CONPASS grade 15 from steps 1 to 6 receives a basic salary in the range of N425,906 to N501,657 monthly and N4,807,688 to N6,856,550 annually.
- CONPASS grade 16 from steps 1 to 6 receives a basic salary in the range of N425,906 to N501,657 monthly and N4,807,688 to N6,856,550 annually.
Other Benefits and Welfare Packages for NDLEA Officers
The officers of the NDLEA are not only remunerated on a salary structure. They are also compensated with other benefits and welfare packages. Below are some of the benefits that accompany the service:
1. Health Insurance
The officers of NDLEA are enrolled in the National Health Insurance Scheme, which covers both them and their families.
2. Traveling Allowance
This benefit is mostly for the senior officers of the agency. They are entitled to a traveling allowance whenever they are on official duty outside their state of assignment.
3. Housing Allowance
NDLEA officers are entitled to accommodation within their place of assignment. When there is no accommodation available, they are paid a housing allowance that covers their accommodation.
NDLEA Training Allowance
NDLEA has a mandatory training of 2 weeks which helps their recruits understand ways to protect themselves and know more about the agency. After this training exercise, the recruits are to receive a training allowance immediately after they are done being registered with the Integrated Personal Payroll Information System (IPPIS).