Chief Olisa Metuh, yesterday offered to refund the N400million he received from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) during the tenure of the former National Security Adviser(NSA) Col. Sambo Dasuki.
He said he had been in talks with the Ministry of Justice, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and other bodies on how to refund the money and resolve the issue.
The N400 million cash was part of the $2.1billion funds meant for the purchase of arms to fight the Boko Haram insurgents in the North East.
The cash which was managed by the former ONSA, was allegedly diverted to individuals and companies connected to the PDP.
Chief Metuh made the disclosure via his counsel, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN) in a statement on Thursday.
Metuh Now Supports Buhari’s Anti-Graft War
In the statement, the ex-PDP spokesman agreed to return the N400 million he allegedly received from the former NSA, Sambo Dasuki, to the Federal Government.
Mr. Ikpeazu said his client’s legal team and officials of the EFCC have begun talks to facilitate the return of the said funds to the federal government.
The statement said;
“We want to explain the reasons for our client’s proposal to refund the N400 million released to him by former President Goodluck Jonathan, and which was expended on a project approved by the ex-President on national issues relating to his Presidency and the federal government at that time.
“We want to restate that at the time the money was released to him after his presentation to the ex-President, our client had no knowledge of the source, a fact that is now obvious from the evidence of the prosecution and defence witnesses.
“Our client had every cause to believe that the money was from the ex-President to whom he made a presentation, received directives and rendered report and accounts accordingly.