Food Vendor Kills Lagos Bus Driver In An Argument Over N30


A 37-year-old Lagos bus driver lost his life on Sunday night, no thanks to a Hausa food vendor in the Igando area of Lagos during an argument over a N30 debt.

The death of the commercial bus driver, Olalekan Adeleke, popularly known as Star Boy, sparked off protests yesterday, aa angry youths set fire to the suspect’s belongings.

It is reported according to the Vanguard that the late Adeleke, an only son, who plied Iyana-Ipaja/Iyana-Iba route, visited a canteen owned by the suspect, identified as Adamu, at College Bus Stop at about 11p.m.

He requested for noodles and two eggs to be prepared for him, after which he was given a bill of N230. But he was said to have paid N200, and Adamu started a fight. Another customer, Kehinde Ayanduro, appealed to Adamu to allow Adeleke to go home to get the balance of N30, which Adeleke did. But when he came back with the money, Adamu still continued the fight.

Also Read: Hausa Man Slaps Taxi Driver Into Coma Over Rumours Of Buhari’s Death

Ayanduro said Adeleke finally escaped and was crossing the road when Adamu went after him and hit him on the head with a piece of wood. Adeleke fell and died. Adamu ran and hid in a drainage until police arrived. Colleagues of late Adeleke were also seen around.

The grieving aged mother of the deceased said:

“My hope and joy is gone. The only son that made me to forget the pain of being a widow is gone.”

The late Adeleke had informed his mother two weeks ago of his intention to go to Ilorin for Islamic evangelism for six months and cried that he would miss his mother.

Younger sister to late Adeleke, Kehinde, said:

“When police took the corpse away, we thought they kept it at the Igando General Hospital mortuary. But when we got to Igando this morning (yesterday), we were told that it was not there. We were made to under-stand that it is in a mortuary at Yaba. We demand that the corpse be released for burial according to Islamic rites.”

On her part, Adeleke’s widow, Fatimo, stated that her last word with her late husband was his promise to pay their eight-year-old daughter’s school fees this week.