No fewer than 40 temporary stalls were completely razed down and valuables worth hundreds of thousands of naira destroyed at Kano Farm Center GSM market following a fire outbreak.
The popular ‘Kasuwar Waya’ popularly called GSM market is located around Farm Centre area of Kano state is the largest phone market in the state.
According to an eyewitness, the incident which occurred at about 4:30 pm on Friday, started from the battery repairers unit of the market, adding that if not for the quick intervention of the officials of Kano State Fire Service Department, the damage would have been worse.
The Director, Kano State Fire Service Department, Alhaji Mustapha Rilwanu, confirmed the incident, however, saying 44 wooden shops were destroyed by the fire which came through an inverter being used by some of the traders.
He also confirmed that no life was lost in the incident.
“We received distress call around 5:20pm and we immediately mobilised our personnel to the area. We were able to put out the fire within 45 minutes. It was an inverter that was being used by some of the traders that caused the inferno as most of the affected shops were made of wood and zinc.”
It could be recalled that last year, there was a fire outbreak in the market where property worth millions of naira were also lost.
In April, the famous and oldest market in Kano metropolis, Kurmi market, was also engulfed by fire destroying property worth millions of naria.
According to reports that the incident occurred around 11:45 p.m, destroying no fewer than 90 shops in the market before men of the State Fire Service could put it out. Fire service personnel were said to have arrived and intervened early enough which prevented the inferno from spreading to other parts of the market.