This is the first ever Instagram rich list released and if you think the social media page is just a platform where celebrities and individual share images and promote their brands, then you’re in for an eye-popping surprise.
Real Madrid football star, Cristiano Ronaldo joins other celebrities such as Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian at the summit of the Instagram rich list as he makes around £308,000 for each sponsored post he shares on his IG page with 106 million followers. He is joined by NBA star, LeBron James (10th) as the only athletes who made the top 10 of the Instagram Rich List.
As the world’s highest paid athlete, the 32-year old Portuguese is already swimming in millions and not just him. According to Huffington post, researchers from Instagram scheduling tool, HopperHQ analysed the 1.2 million posts scheduled through the platform and compiled the first ever Instagram “rich list.”
The result reveals other highest earners on Instagram which includes Kylie and Kendall Jenner, Khloe Kardashian, Cara Delevingne, etc, reportedly earning tens of thousands for sponsored posts.
Despite these claims, the research shows that only a fifth (21%) of sponsored posts were clear that the user had been paid to post content. It also discovered that on average, one in 20 Instagram users now monetise their posts and sponsored content has increased by more than a third on Instagram (34%) since 2015.
D̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶’g̶r̶a̶m̶.
‘Gram it for the cash. 💰
— B/R Football (@brfootball) July 5, 2017
Below is the full list of top 10 in the 2017 Celebrity Instagram Rich List
1. Selena Gomez: 122 million followers – $550,000 (£424,000) per post
2. Kim Kardashian: 100 million followers – $500,000 (£385,000) per post
3. Cristiano Ronaldo: 104 million followers – $400,000 (£308,000) per post
4. Kylie Jenner: 95 million followers – $400,000 ((£308,000) per post
5. Kendall Jenner: 81.7 million followers – $370,000 (£285,000) per post
6. Khloe Kardashian: 68 million followers – $250,000 (£192,600) per post
7. Kourtney Kardashian: 57.8 million followers – $250,000 (£192,600) per post
8. Cara Delevingne: 40.4 million followers – $150,000 (£115,500) per post
9. Gigi Hadid: 34.7 million followers – $120,000 (£92,457) per post
10. Lebron James: 30.7 million followers – $120,000 (£92,457) per post
Women obviously dominated the list. However, Instagram said it could not confirm whether the figures are accurate. It also boasts of taking its transparency seriously and marks all adverts placements on Instagram as “sponsored.”
In a statement realised by the social community, it encourages users “to follow local industry guidelines around transparency with any sponsored content.”
BuzzNigeria recalls that Instagram revealed it is trialing a new tool to bring transparency to branded content on the platform, through a new “paid partnership with” tag on posts and stories.
It noted that the tool will allow a creator to tag business partner they are working with and provides access to insights for the content created as part of this partnership.
Co-founder ofInstagram as an “incredibly effective marketing tool for brands.”
According to him, influencers and celebrities have understood the fact that endorsing brands on Instagram pays off and as can be seen from the Instagram rich list, “there is a serious amount of money to be made.”