Ifeanyi Dike, the suspected ritual killer who was recently rearrested has narrated the series of events which led to his eventual re-arrest in Jos, the Plateau state capital.
Dike, who raped and killed an eight-year-old girl, Victory Nmezuwuba in Port Harcourt, had escaped from police custody before he was recaptured in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State, last week.
The suspect was first arrested in Eliozu, Port Harcourt when he attempted to dispose off the mutilated body of his victim after removing her tongue, two eyes, two fingers and one breast.
Speaking after his rearrest in Port Harcourt on Monday, September 11, while being paraded by the Rivers State Police Command, Dike revealed that the search for food to satisfy his hunger made it possible for security agents to re-arrest him when he came out of his hideout.
Read Also: Killers Of Catholic Priest Arrested
Dike said he was sorry for his action, revealing that he hid for several days in his hideout without food and had to come out when he could no longer bear the hunger. Hear him:
“When I escaped to Jos, I was not able to go out to get food because of my injuries. I stayed for several days without food. So due to the hunger, I decided to source for food and that was where I was caught and handed over to the Police.
“When I got to the Police station, at first I was hiding my identity, but on interrogation I got fed up and gave them (Police) my aunty’s phone number.
“As soon as the Police called my aunt, she told them that I was declared wanted by the Rivers State Police command. She also handed my IPO’s phone number to the Police officers and they later confirmed that I am on the wanted list. After I was confirmed, I was detained and returned back to Rivers State on Sunday.”
The suspect also insisted that the Investigative Police Officer (IPO) Johnbosco Okoroeze who is being punished over his (Dike’s) escape was innocent.
Dike disclosed that he took advantage of the darkness in the premises of SCID, when he was asked to go into the cell and escaped, noting that nobody knew when he sneaked out. He said:
“At the State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, after I entered my statement late in the evening of the day of my first parade, my IPO asked me to go inside the cell.
“That was when I had the opportunity to run away. My IPO did not help me escape. I know what I did was wrong, please forgive me and have mercy.”
The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ahmed Zaki has described the re-arrest of Dike as an act of God, noting that providence has brought the suspect back to face justice.
He also disclosed that the media helped in the re-arrest of the suspect through information made available to the public.
“His re-arrest was made possible by God Almighty, through your numerous prayers and concerns, following his escape three weeks ago.
“I wish to assure you that justice will not only be done, but be seen to be done in the circumstance to bring the full weight of the law to bear on him and any other person implicated in the cause of further investigations,” the Commissioner said.
The father of the eight-year-old victim, Dr Ernest Nmezuwuba, pleaded with the police to carry out a thorough investigation into the circumstance that led to the gruesome murder of his daughter, insisting that Dike was not the only person involved in the killing of his child.
“I want the police to do a thorough investigation because in Ifeanyi’s statement, he said he was sent by a person and the person is in police custody. The person is one Ugochukwu. The evidence is there.
“What I need is justice. All those involved in this crime should be arrested,” he said.