You can transfer or share airtime on MTN using the SMS method sent to 777; the *777# / *600# USSD codes, or through MyMTN App.
The MTN share which was previously known as Share ‘N’ Sell is available to all MTN new and existing prepaid and postpaid customers to transfer airtime to MTN users. The service allows for the sharing of airtime as low as ₦50.00 to as high as ₦5,000 in a single transaction and a maximum of ₦100,000 daily.
Here is how to transfer airtime, activate, change and reactivate PIN using the MTN line.
How To Activate MTN Share or Transfer
Before one can get access to transfer airtime using MTN, the first step is to have a registered MTN line and follow the processes below:
- Change the MTN share default PIN ‘0000’
- Send an SMS with the default pin, followed by the new PIN and PIN again to 777 eg 0000 1234 1234 to 777
- Or dial *777*default PIN*New PIN*New PIN#. Example: *777*1234*1234#
You can change or fix a new PIN using the method below
- Step 1: Dial *777#
- Step 2: Select the second option (Change PIN)
- Step 3: Enter the old PIN
- Step 4: Enter the new PIN
- Step 5: Reenter the new PIN
Once any of the above methods is used, you will receive an SMS from MTN informing you that your PIN has been successfully changed.
How To Transfer or Share Airtime on MTN Using SMS
Once you have successfully changed your PIN, you can start to transfer airtime from your MTN line to another MTN network user.
Follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Go to create a message on your mobile
- Step 2: Send an SMS containing the Transfer, Recipient’s Number, Amount, and PIN.
- Example: type “Transfer 08031234567 1000 1234”
- Step 3: Send the SMS to 777
- Step 4: You will receive a message asking for confirmation to transfer to the number you want
- Step 5: Send YES to 777
How to Transfer Airtime on MTN Using USSD Code
There are 2 basic codes to use to transfer airtime using MTN. One is *777# and the other is *600#.
Steps to follow using *777#
- Step 1: Dial *777*Recipient’s Number*Amount*PIN#
- Example: *777*08031234567*1000*1234#
- Step 2: You will receive a message asking you to accept the transaction
- Step 3: Send OK and you will receive a message that your transaction is successful
- Step 1: Dial *777# on your phone and follow the prompt
- Step 2: Select 1 (Transfer airtime)
- Step 3: Enter the phone number you want to send the airtime to
- Step 4: Enter the amount, eg, 1000
- Step 5: Enter your four diPIN, eg, 1234
- Step 6: Accept to make the transfer and wait for a successful message
Steps to use with the *600# USSD code
- Activate the transfer PIN using the same method as in 777 but change the USSD to 600 instead
- Example *600*Default PIN*new PIN*new PIN# as in *600*000*1234*1234# and send
- To transfer airtime, send *600*Recipient’s Number*Amount*PIN#
- Example: *600*08031234567*1000*1234#
- Repeat the same processes as in *777#
Ways to Transfer Airtime Using MyMTN App
- Step 1: Visit the play store to download the MTN App
- Step 2: Open the App and choose the method you want to sign up with (eg, Apple Google, and Facebook)
- Step 3: Go to Quick Links and click on Share airtime
- Step 4: Select to send to a beneficiary, linked numbers, or a new number
- Step 5: If you’ve never saved the number as a beneficiary, click on the new number
- Step 6: Enter the recipient’s phone number
- Step 7: Enter the amount to send
- Step 8: Confirm the transaction and send
How to Get A New MTN Transfer PIN After Losing an Old One
To reactivate a lost PIN, call the MTN call center number 180 and follow the voice prompts until you get to speak to an MTN customer care representative.
You’ll have to produce some personal details such as the name used to register the line, date of birth, mother’s maiden name, and when you started using the line.
After answering the questions, your PIN will be reset to the default PIN 0000 and sent to your line as an SMS. You will use the PIN to create a new one through an SMS to 777 or the *777# or *600# codes.
Another way to get help to recover a lost PIN is by chatting with the customer care representative on MyMTN App. Follow the steps below to get access to help through chats:
- Log into the MTN App
- At the right bottom of the page, click on the help button
- click contact us
- Select the method to chat with MTN (Zigi)
- For instance, if you select WhatsApp, you will automatically be taken to the chat page of the network
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Select to chat with an agent
- Wait for a response
- Submit personal details such as name, phone number, mother’s maiden name, and tariff plan among others, and wait for a response
Which MTN Plan Supports MTN Share and Sell
Follow the steps below to check your tariff:
- Step 1: Dial *123# and send
- Step 2: Select 2, an option for tariff plan
- Step 3: Select any tariff to migrate or press 00 to back to the main menu
- Step 4: The first migration is free but if you’re changing the tariff again, it will cost 102 Naira
Important Things to Know About Transfer or Share on MTN
While the communication company MTN allows for users of the network to transfer airtime to any active MTN line, it does not allow for MTN users to transfer to Airtel or any other network such as Glo, 9Mobile, or Visafone.
However, the network allows for users of other networks to port to MTN and enjoy receiving airtime from other users.
Other things to note while sending airtime
- The sender of airtime can only send Naira and never kobo. For example, a customer can send 50.00 but never 50.32
- You can only transfer anything from 50 Naira to 5,000 Naira in a single transaction and up to 100,000 Naira in a day to more than a number
- Your prepaid MTN line must have at least 50 Naira to send to another user. i.e, a line without airtime cannot send airtime and you cannot send airtime that is above what your account has
- A postpaid account cannot send airtime. i.e, you cannot send airtime you borrowed from MTN
In conclusion, MTN gives the option of asking for help to transfer or share airtime. The help may be from an MTN APP, through social media chats, by *777# and clicking on help; and by calling the customer care on 180.