To check your Sterling Bank account number and BVN in Nigeria, you can utilize Sterling Bank’s USSD banking service. Simply dial *822# on the mobile number registered with the bank, and follow the prompts to access your account details. Alternatively, you can use the official Sterling Bank mobile app, where after logging in, you can view your account number and BVN. Additionally, visiting the nearest Sterling Bank branch or contacting the bank’s customer care can provide you with this information.
How To Check Your Sterling Bank Account Number
Your account number is a 10-digit number linked to your bank account and like every other source of identity, it must be kept safe. However, many customers at some point forget their account numbers. As a result, Sterling Bank has provided several ways for its customers to easily retrieve their account numbers.
You can find or retrieve your Sterling Bank account number through the following ways:
- Using Ussd code
- Through the app
- Using the ATM
- Using SMS
- Via the Sterling bank online website or email address
- Via bank’s phone contact numbers
How To Check Sterling Bank Account Number With USSD Code
The Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) code is one of the easiest ways to gain access to your bank details. The code can only be used by Sterling bank customers whose phone numbers are registered with the bank. To check your Sterling Bank account number via the bank’s USSD code, the following steps will serve as a guide:
- Dial *822*8# or dial *822# and then 8 when the network presents you with several options
- Enter the last 4 digits of your ATM card or your mobile banking PIN to authenticate your transaction
- After completing the above-listed steps, wait for some minutes for your mobile network to send you your 10-digit NUBAN (Nigeria Uniform Bank Account Number)
Note: If you are using this code for the first time, an authentication PIN is required to be able to use the code and you have to use the phone number registered to your account.
How to Check Sterling Bank Account Number Online
Going online to check your bank account is quite easy as Sterling Bank allows its customers to get help via a live chat with a customer care representative. To use the live chat, visit the Sterling Bank help center portal here. You will need to provide the following information to confirm that you own an account with Sterling:
- Full name
- Phone number linked to your Sterling bank account
- Next of kin
- Date of birth
- The bank branch at which you registered your account
- Residential address
After successfully confirming you own an account with the bank, the customer care representative should be able to provide your account number.
Check Sterling Bank Account Number Via Sterling WhatsApp Banking
Sterling WhatsApp Banking is designed to make banking transactions much easier for their valued customers. You can chat with this help section of the bank by following these steps:
- Dial and save the Sterling Bank WhatsApp number +234 906 000 6449 as a contact on your device.
- Remember to use a name that’s easy to recollect.
- Once the number is saved on your phone, you can go to your WhatsApp page and search for the name you used to save the bank’s mobile name and start a conversation by saying “Hi”, “Hey”, etc.
Note: Other issues you can solve by chatting with the Sterling Bank on Whatsapp include;
- Sterling to Sterling and Sterling to other banks’ transfers
- Airtime and Bills Payment
- Balance inquiry
- BVN inquiry
- Statement generation
- Account opening
Check Your Account Number Via the Sterling Bank App
If you have the right Sterling Bank App downloaded;
- Open the mobile app on your phone or tablet
- Register or sign in using the phone number linked to the account
- Click on the tab to view a summary of your account. Usually, the account number will be displayed on this page
You Can Contact Sterling Bank Customer Care For Your Account Number
You can send a mail to [email protected] or call 070078375464 and request your account number.
You will be asked to prove ownership of the account by providing some details about your account. Once you provide these details, you will get your bank account number.
Visit Any Sterling Bank Branch Near You For Your Account Number
If you’re unable to get your Sterling Bank account number through any of the methods listed above, you would then need to find your way to any visible bank branch near you. While at the bank premises, you will meet a customer care representative who will ask you to provide information that will be used to verify your account ownership. If you provide accurate answers, then the customer care personnel will help you retrieve your account number.
Why Is BVN So Important?
Your Bank Verification Number (BVN) is a unique identification number for all bank customers within the Nigerian banking industry. BVN was introduced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in its bid to strengthen the security of banking transactions and to ensure that fraudulent transactions are minimized to the barest minimum.
BVN uses biometric technology to register customers in the financial system. It records physical features which are unique to individuals – fingerprints and the face. The record would be used to identify the person in case of anything. Once a person’s biometrics have been recorded, and BVN issued, the account can be accessed through the BVN. The key objectives of BVN include:
- Enhance banking operations
- To protect bank customers and reduce fraudulent transactions
- To strengthen the security of banking transactions and to simplify inter-bank transfer operations
- To protect customers with multiple accounts with a single registration in any of the banks where they have accounts
- To enhance credit advancement to bank customers and reduce reported cases of scam, impersonation, fraud, and account hacking
How to Retrieve Your BVN From Sterling Bank
You can check or retrieve your BVN from Sterling Bank using different methods that include:
- BVN code
- Sterling Bank Mobile App
USSD Code For Checking Your BVN
- The universal USSD code for checking your Bank Verification Number (BVN) is *565*0#.
- Dial and send the code with a phone number that is duly registered and linked to your BVN. Follow the onscreen instruction to receive details of your BVN on your phone.
Note: This process will cost you ₦20 service fee.
Online Method Of Checking BVN
You can check or retrieve your BVN on your sterling bank account online through the following procedure:
- Log in to the Sterling Bank internet banking platform here
- Click on the menu bar and you will see your BVN displayed
Note: Your BVN is mainly used for identity verification; you should, therefore, not share it with any third party.
Sterling Bank Transactions that Require BVN
You will need a bank verification number (BVN) to perform the following transactions in Sterling Bank
- Account opening
- Forex trading
- Inter-bank money transfers
- To renew or activate an ATM card
- To pick up foreign currencies at the bank