The Bank Verification Number (BVN) is an 11-digit number that is given to anyone who has a bank account. It is a mandatory requirement for every First Bank customer. Before having an account, customers are mandated to go through the BVN registration process. The account remains inactive for some transactions until it goes through the BVN linking process with the account.
First Bank, as one of the giants in the banking industry in Nigeria, is not excluded from the BVN procedures as this helps to a large extent in preventing financial fraud.
How to Register BVN with First Bank
To register, you must do the following:
- Fill out the BVN enrollment form and return it to the bank.
- The form may be obtained at any First Bank location or downloaded online.
- At the time of submission, you must supply a valid form of identification, which can be any of the following:
- Driver’s License
- Voter Registration Card
- National Identification Card
How to Link BVN To My First Bank Account
The easiest and most simple way to link your BVN to your First Bank account is to dial the appropriate USSD code on your mobile phone. Follow these steps to link your BVN to your First Bank account on your phone:
- Dial *894*BVN# with the mobile number that was used to open the bank account. For example, if your BVN is 67890, you must dial *894*67890#.
- First Bank will give you an SMS to confirm that you successfully linked your BVN to your First Bank account.
How to Check BVN on First Bank
A customer can check the BVN in several ways. The methods are very easy and fast to follow. Below are some ways to check BVN with First Bank:
- By USSD Code,
- Through FirstOnline
- Through FirstMobile
- Visiting the Bank
First Bank BVN Code (USSD)
First Bank’s USSD code for checking BVN is *565*0#. This is the generic code for checking BVN on any other bank. To utilize this code, the user must use the SIM card that was used to register for the First Bank account. It should be noted that this incurs a charge from your mobile network provider’s balance.
How to Check First Bank BVN via Phone
With the use of a mobile phone, one can easily check BVN. Like with other banks, there is no specified First bank code to check BVN. As stated above, First Bank customers make use of the general code in assessing their Bank Verification Number.
Steps to check BVN using a Mobile Phone:
- From your phone dialer, enter the USSD code *565*0 #.
- Wait for the 11-digit number to emerge after a few seconds
Take note of the number. You may either copy it and use it right now or store it for later. The service, however, is not free, and you will be charged N20 for the transaction. Saving for subsequent usage is thus advised for those who cannot afford to tip telecoms a total of N20 every time they check their BVN.
How to Check BVN Through FirstOnline
Customers that are registered on the FirstOnline platform have a better chance of checking their BVN through the medium. This is a better option for accessing the BVN during an online transaction. To successfully access the BVN through FirstOnline, follow the steps below:
- Log in to the First Bank internet banking platform or click here
- Enter your user ID
- Insert the verification code and confirm the verification code
- Click on Next
- On the dashboard of your First Bank internet bank is your BVN (11-digit) number.
How to Check BVN on First Bank App
FirstMobile is the First bank mobile app used in handling some banking transactions. Checking of BVN is not excluded from the services FirstMobile offers. To check your BVN using the FirstMobile or mobile app, follow the steps below:
- Download the First bank mobile app or click here
- Go through the registration process and obtain your username and password
- Access the First bank mobile app using the username and password
- On the dashboard is your BVN
Can You Check BVN in First Bank Branch?
Most times customers fail to understand the job of the customer service section. They are there to help customers with solutions to any banking-related problem. Therefore, to check your BVN, simply walk into the bank, proceed to the customer service counter, and obtain your BVN. You will simply need to submit your account number and perhaps answer a few questions about your account’s registration data.
How to Check First Bank BVN on MTN
You may now verify your BVN number code on your mobile phone to find out your Bank Verification Number (BVN) owing to the simple techniques. Dial *565*0# to obtain your Bank Verification Number.
You don’t need to connect to the internet or have a high-end smartphone to verify your BVN code. You may use this code to discover how to validate your BVN code number on any SIM card. To check your Bank Verification Number, call *565*0# for Mtn subscribers.
List of First Bank Transactions the BVN is Used For
First bank understands the usefulness of the Bank Verification Number, thereby attaching strong value to it in their transactions. One can not make use of the BVN alone to execute transactions. But it can be used as a requirement in having transactions executed. Below are some of the First Bank transactions where BVN is important:
- BVN is a major requirement of the First Bank when a customer is applying for advancement. You can’t get or be given a loan in First Bank without presenting your BVN for creditworthiness verification.
- A customer can not open a functioning account with First bank without BVN.
The Importance of Knowing Your BVN
BVN, a biometric identification system, has been implemented as part of the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) initiative to reduce unlawful bank transactions in the nation. Below are other benefits of making sure you have a BVN:
1. Customers will have a more secure banking option available to them: With a rising number of fraudsters, the security of financial transactions is seriously jeopardized. While this is no longer the case, fraudulent actions have decreased significantly, and it is hoped that such activities will be totally eliminated in the coming years.
2. Centralized Bank Data for all Clients Enables Banks to Learn About a Loan Applicant’s Financial History: Prior to the implementation of BVN, a customer might go to another bank and acquire a loan even if he or she had not paid off a loan at the previous bank. This is useful to banks since it prevents them from losing money.
3. There is a reduction in fraudulent and illegal banking: The Bank Verification Number is a step forward in Nigeria’s national financial intelligence, but additional changes are needed to direct this revolutionary step away from hackers so that they can continue to inflict illicit banking fatal blows until it becomes history.
4. For Customers Who Can Not Read or Write: The Bank Verification Number accommodates people who cannot read or write by using fingerprints and physical characteristics. This enables even the most illiterate person to function in financial security.