How Ese Oruru Was Brought To Kano – Yunusa Yellow’s Father


There have been many sides to the story of Ese Oruru, the 14-year-old teenage girl who was said to have been kidnapped from her home in Yenagoa, Bayelsa state by Yunusa Yellow. The father of the alleged abductor, Dahiru Bala, on Wednesday, opened up on the issue, narrating his own version of the of this tale that have kept the social media abuzz for a while now. .

The 55-yearold father of Yunusa, in a meeting he had with Premium Times in his Tofa village home in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State, told the reporters  that sometime in 2015, his son who lives in Bayelsa, called him on the phone to notify him about his intention of coming to Kano with Ese Oruru.

According to Mr. Bala:

When he told me about the plan to come with a girl from Bayelsa to Kano, I asked him not to, but he insisted that Aisha (Ese) had become a Muslim, fell in love with him and wanted to marry him. I still warned him against coming with her.

See Also: 14-Year-Old Ese Is 5-Months Pregnant

Yunusa’s father said that his son, who normally ran errands for the Oruru family, fell in love with their daughter Ese and both of them made a decision to travel to Kano. As he said,

Yunusa ran errands for Aisha’s family and at the same time riding commercial motorcycle to earn a living. They fell in love in the house and eloped to Kano.

Mr. Dahiru said that though he bluntly disagreed with Yunusa’s resolution to bring Ese with him to Kano, the young man told him that the girl had threatened to kill her self if he fails to allow her travel with him, adding that the girl chose to embark on the journey with him because she feared that Yunusa was getting married to another woman in Kano, “still, I warned him against coming with her,” said Mr. Bala.

Surprisingly, the boy called me the following day to announce his arrival with Aisha, saying they were on their way to my house.

On hearing this, I then quickly rushed to our village head to inform him about the development.

Read More: 7 Things Good Listeners Do Differently

The village head then said I should take them to his house immediately after arrival. They arrived late at night, so she passed the night in my house.

The following day, we went together to the village head of Tofa, who then led us to the house of his superior, the district head of Kura.

On arrival at Kura, the district head studied the case and ordered that we be taken to the emir’s palace in the city.

When we arrived at the palace, the emir was away in Saudi Arabia, but the Wambai of Kano [a senior councillor in the palace], directed a palace guard to take us to Shari’ah commission office. Aisha was then taken into custody by the Shari’ah office.

From that day, the officials kept calling to draw our attention that she cried every day that she wanted to see my son.

See Again: Meet Dr. Osato, The Nigerian Who Makes Drones For The US Army

On Thursday same week, the family of Ese arrived from Bayelsa and on Friday the Emir came back from Saudi Arabia. Emir looked at the complication of the case and after interviewing the family of Ese, who told him that she was still 14 years old and she could not decide for herself, and since Ese was crying that her family might kill her because she converted to Islam, the Emir ordered that we were taken to the police office [Zone 1 Police Headquarters, Kano].

At the police office, and before Ese’s family, the girl cried that her life was in danger and that she rather died than go back with her family. In sympathy, the police said Aisha should be taken back to Kura.

Back in the village, I took her to the house of the district head. I refused to let them stay together in my house since they were not married.

The district head then enrolled her in both Western and Islamic schools .

Read Also: South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma To Visit Nigeria

The case of Miss Ese Oruru drew the attention of different groups and organisations including the Police through the help of the media and following the intervention of the  Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, Ese was taken to Abuja where she was reunited with her mother who arrived from yesterday.