Kaduna State Governor Nasir el-Rufai has been dragged to court by a Kaduna-based lawyer, Maxwell Kyon, over the free school feeding programme of his administration, arguing that there was no need for the state government to feed school children in the state.
Kyon, at a Kaduna Chief Magistrate’s Court 4 on Tuesday, stressed that the initiative was unconstitutional.
Director of Litigation of the state Ministry of Justice, Sanusi Usman, who led the legal team for the defendant, has however said the plaintiff had no grounds to challenge the programme.
The case was adjourned till March 17, 2016 for hearing by the chief magistrate, Mairo Muhammed .
Governor El-Rufai flagged-off the free feeding programme for 1.8 million primary school pupils in the state in January, which according to him was the beginning of a different phase of the state government’s project to expand access to education.
Senator Danjuma Laah, representing Kaduna south senatorial zone, had earlier criticized the programme which he described as a deliberate attempt by Governor El-Rufai to score curious political points.
He noted that the sum of N90 million per day or N450 million per week used in feeding pupils could have been used to improve the quality and quantity of school infrastructure and teaching aids in the state.
However, parents under the aegis of Concerned Parents of Public School Pupils have declared their support for the programme, stating that nobody would stop their children from eating free meals at school.
One of the leaders of the group, James Ogwoche, told reporters that the programme had been beneficial to his two sons in a primary school in the state, adding that since the programme began he had not been spending on breakfast for his children.
We are telling anybody who has any minority view over the Kaduna State’s free feeding programme to leave parents and government alone. I don’t know why some people always go against a good initiative.