In a book titled, “Against The Run of Play”, written by a former presidential spokesman, Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi, Goodluck Jonathan had claimed that he lost his re-election to local and international conspiracies, including the U.S, during the 2015 presidential elections.
Jonathan also accused Buhari of harassing his family with his anti-corruption fight. But both the U.S. and President Buhari have said there is no truth in Jonathan’s claims.
In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, Buhari explained that neither he nor his government harasses any Nigerian, including Jonathan and his family.
President Buhari advised Goodluck Jonathan to approach the court and seek redress if he felt aggrieved with the style of the administration in going after those who looted the country’s treasury. The statement reads:
“We make bold to state unequivocally that President Buhari harasses nobody; he merely allows the law to take its course. For the umpteenth time, we say that anybody without skeleton in his or her cupboard has nothing to fear about the bared fangs of the anti-corruption initiative.
“Fear belongs only to those who have abused trust while in office. Anybody who feels aggrieved is free to approach the courts to seek redress or justice.”
The president said he believes in the rule of law and that is why his campaign against corruption is anchored on that plank.
“With regard to President Buhari’s anti-graft style, which the former president deprecates, given the scale of revelations and recoveries so far by the anti-corruption agencies, it is obvious that corruption had an uninhibited course during our recent past.
“In any case, time will give the verdict on whose style of fighting corruption ultimately yielded the most dividends. For now, President Buhari is resolute and single-minded in the fact that his crusade against graft is not targeted at any individual or group,” the statement reads.
In the book, Goodluck Jonathan, who ran on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) also blamed his loss at the poll on former United States President Barack Obama, ex-British Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Francois Hollande for aiding the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari, who contested on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
But the US government through its spokesman for the Public Affairs Section of the United States Consulate General, Lagos, Mr. Russell Brooks, has responded to the allegation, stressing that it did not influence the election or pitch a tent behind any candidate.
“Nigeria has a very vibrant and outspoken media. I think the media should verify information and substantiate allegations before any publication.
“For example, there was a news item on Wednesday that the United States government interfered in the 2015 general elections.
“The United States government did not interfere in Nigeria’s election. The US was never involved nor manipulated the 2015 elections in Nigeria.The US never influenced the outcome of the election to suit any candidate because it had no preferred candidate, Brooks said.
Brooks said this during a courtesy visit to the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE) at the Editors’ House in Ikeja, Lagos on Wednesday. He was accompanied by the Public Affairs Officer to the United States Consulate General, Lagos, Darcy Zotter and Information Specialist to the US Consulate General, Lagos, Temitayo Famutimi.
Speaking of media operations in Nigeria, US spokesman commended Nigeria for upholding press freedom, saying:
“During my stay in Nigeria, I noticed that there is press freedom in Nigeria.
“Press freedom is fundamental to United States and fundamental for building democratic norms.”
Brooks commended the Nigerian media for its robustness and resilience, noting that in spite of the challenges in Africa, Nigerian media have discharged their duty creditably.
He also assured the NGE that he would foster exchange programmes between Nigeria and the United States journalists, especially in the area of capacity building.
In response, President of the NGE, Mrs. Funke Egbemode, assured Brooks that the guild is willing to partner with US Embassy in the area of capacity building and exchange programme to promote professionalism among members of the Guild and media practitioners in the country.
She said the NGE would also appreciate exchange programmes that will see Nigerian journalists train in the United States while US journalists will also visit Nigeria’s media houses to appreciate how Nigerian journalists cope even in the midst of challenges.