Gay Club Shooting, Obama Orders Flags To Fly Half-Staff


President Obama has ordered that American flags around the world be flown at half-staff to honor the victims of the shooting at a Gay Club in Orlando, Florida.

American flags at the White House, across Washington, and on federal and military properties and vessels around the world will be flown at half-staff until sunset June 16.

President Obama gave the order shortly after his remarks on the shooting Sunday afternoon.

A gunman who claimed allegiance to the Islamic State (ISIL), killed 50 people and wounded 53 others when he opened fire in a crowded gay nightclub in Orlando, in the early hours of Sunday.


It is the worst mass shooting in United States history. The gunman identified as Omar Mateen, 29, an American citizen whose parents are immigrants from Afghanistan.

SEE ALSO:  50 Shot Dead In US Gay Club Attack! Pope Reacts

According to law enforcements, Mateen claimed allegiance to the Islamic State in a 911 call he made before the attack, law enforcement. He lived in Fort Pierce, Florida.

The Orlando Police Department said Mateen was born in New York. Court records indicate he had been married and divorced.

F.B.I. investigations show that Mateen had previously been investigated by the F.B.I  for possible terrorist ties in 2013 and 2014 but did not believe him to be a threat. The 2014 investigation centered on a possible link between Mr. Mateen and Moner Mohammad Abusalha, an American from Florida who became a suicide bomber for an extremist group in Syria.

Investigations also revealed that Mateen had legally bought both weapons used in the attack – a handgun and a long gun –  from The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Florida within the last week.

Mr. Mateen had opened fire inside the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, a popular gay club, at about 2 a.m. He was armed with an AR-15-style assault rifle and a handgun.

He shot dead about one-third of the people in the packed club. Hundreds of panicked clubgoers escaped and fled into the streets.

Mateen was thereafter killed by a police SWAT team when it raided the building at about 5 a.m. with an armored vehicle and stun grenades. One police officer was wounded, and at least 30 people were rescued.